Second Player Controller

sryidc

was looking for a cheap usb controller so my friend and i could play two player games and i found this

LINK

its even named pandora haha its an hid so it should work on the pandora right?

just found it cheaper on newegg :)

Newegg

It should work, yes - as long as the software you want to use it with supports external controllers. :)

Nice but i have enough USB controllers lying around. Even a Gameport to USB adaptor so i can play Descent 1+2 with my old Thrustmaster. I just hope they'll add USB support.

I have that controller. Was using it previously with my UMPC before Pandora came. I can test it if you want.

Vorporeal said:
Hee hee the first review on the Newegg page for it is by PoisonedV. Small world. :D

I think we had a thread on it in 2008!

Last edited by a moderator:
Snow-Okami said:
I have that controller. Was using it previously with my UMPC before Pandora came. I can test it if you want.
that would be awesome man, how is the joystick on it?

SomeGuy99 said:
Vorporeal said:
Hee hee the first review on the Newegg page for it is by PoisonedV. Small world. :D

Yes, I bought one way back then for the Pandora. Didn't this have something to do with the name for OpenPandora or is my long term memory that warped?

I'll try it now.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: Tried this w/ MAME, NES, SNES & had no luck. Didn't install any drivers, but its not plug and play. I'm kinda new to Linux and can't run any magical command lines either.

Mjlink said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Vorporeal said:

Yes, I bought one way back then for the Pandora. Didn't this have something to do with the name for OpenPandora or is my long term memory that warped?

I'll try it now.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

EDIT: Tried this w/ MAME, NES, SNES & had no luck. Didn't install any drivers, but its not plug and play. I'm kinda new to Linux and can't run any magical command lines either.

Try PicoDrive. I know for a fact that emulator has USB Gamepad support.

As for the name, I believe that it was brought up in the big topic about USB Gamepads. (Someone was like, "Hey! Same name! Analog nub! What a coincidence!")

-God Ginrai

I remember that thread, it wasn't clear back in 2008 was it? It was determined that it was a pretty poor controller, a few people on this board had it and didn't think much of it. Nice idea but they should have put a d-pad on it instead of a stick.

EDIT: the reviews are pretty good, maybe this is a new version? I remember I didn't buy it because what was said about it on this forum. Oh well, if people on newegg like it they are usually the ones to trust.

I too could not get it working in Picodrive, NesEmu and gpfce. It is not detected by Picodrive or gpfce. Picodrive had a lot fo options to choose from though: 'gpio-keys','nub0', 'nub1' and 'keypad'. NesEmu gives input options for other devices but not specifically USB joypads.

Here is something to look at:

[16342.781616] usb0: MAC 1a:6b:c7:8c:8d:81
[16342.785491] usb0: HOST MAC 82:9c:1c:ab:f9:39
[16342.790161] g_cdc gadget: CDC Composite Gadget, version: King Kamehameha Day 2008
[16342.797729] g_cdc gadget: g_cdc ready
[16342.801422] musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: MUSB HDRC host driver
[16342.806762] musb_hdrc musb_hdrc: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[16342.814514] usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[16342.820343] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[16342.824188] hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[16343.055725] usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[16343.062622] usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[16343.069885] usb usb2: Product: MUSB HDRC host driver
[16343.074920] usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.27.46-omap1 musb-hcd
[16343.081146] usb usb2: SerialNumber: musb_hdrc
[16375.619781] aufs test_add:243:mount[1606]: uid/gid/perm /mnt/pnd/picodrive

The joypad is great but feels too small in my hands (I have small hands too) It feels like a mix between a Neo-Geo Pocket Color's Joystick (Can feel all 6 directions) and Pandora's nub if it were raise (sloped) in the center. Its a great pad though, Has buttons for PSX on top (R1, R2, L1, L2). In most emulators I tried using it with in the past though however the 'turbo' and 'clear' keys aren't accessible to be re-assigned as possibly (I would like at least) 'start' and 'select'. Also the rumble feature and turbo feature do not work on (mine at least) Mac and Linux. They do work if you install the drivers for windows. It is 'Plug'n'Play' for all my computers except Pandora so far.

second exodous said:
I remember that thread, it wasn't clear back in 2008 was it? It was determined that it was a pretty poor controller, a few people on this board had it and didn't think much of it. Nice idea but they should have put a d-pad on it instead of a stick.

EDIT: the reviews are pretty good, maybe this is a new version? I remember I didn't buy it because what was said about it on this forum. Oh well, if people on newegg like it they are usually the ones to trust.
there are versions with a dpad that are much cheaper ($8-9) but the websites i found that sell it all look sketchy.

just got mine in the mail. this thing is Very small, much smaller then i expected. locks open with a snap kinda like the hinge on the DS. if we can get this to work i think it would be a perfect companion for the Pandora as a second player controller.

Back