Sdio

Axaj said:
Is SDIO theoretically supported?

Yes, but only on the first SD slot, if I recall correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
what?
the wifi is connected through SDIO?

i hope this isn't the case, this would be identical to the wii, and that has a max throughput of roughly 500kb/s :(

GizmoTheGreen said:
i hope this isn't the case, this would be identical to the wii, and that has a max throughput of roughly 500kb/s :(
It is the case and I'm 99.999% certain that you're worrying over nothing.
The Wii, even after the firmware update that gave SDHC capability and increased the speed, the SD port is STILL just an SD port and limited to SD speeds. Looking at some of the benchmarks it tops out at about 1.5 to 2MB/s, and that's AFTER a reported 4x speed boost with the 4.0 firmware. The Pandora's bus is theoretically capable of 24MB/s, with real world cards being tested at 15MB/s already. I don't see how the Wii and Pandora can be compared at all.

wouldn't the standard wifi chips be around 54MB/s?
so if its conencted to the SDIO that tops 15 (or 24) MB/s then we loose more than half of the potential speed.

So if you have an actual Internet connection of 100MB/s or wish to transfer something over network.
It is unecessarily crippled.

Am I?

If so I apologize.
I thought we were talking megabit the whole time.

I see your edit now, well, that makes sense if the SDIO bus is in megabyte

Now, is there 3 busses 24Megabyte/s each, or is it shared?

GizmoTheGreen said:
so if its conencted to the SDIO that tops 15 (or 24) MB/s then we loose more than half of the potential speed.

So if you have an actual Internet connection of 100MB/s or wish to transfer something over network.
802.11g has a max theoretical throughput of 54Mb/s, 54 million BITS per second. That's 6.75MB/s
The Pandora has a theoretical throughput of 24 MB/s, 24 million BYTES per second. The Pandora is capable of about 3.5 times the speed of a standard 802.11g card.
If you have a 100MB/s connection, I would be very impressed. That's a gig of data in 10 seconds. If you're able to download that much, the wi-fi connection isn't going to be the only bottleneck on the Pandora. :) I think you meant 100Mb/s (12.8MB/s), and even that seems questionably high.

edit: :ph34r:
and an addition
GizmoTheGreen said:
Should be separate. I asked the same question and it was vaguely "we're pretty sure they're individual controllers".
It's in that thread I linked earlier.

GizmoTheGreen said:
If you want to transfer files (via internet or LAN) at 10MBytes/sec, then you need a PC, not a portable gaming device :)

The SD port are variable speed and voltage. In the default modes, the bus runs at 25Mhz (~12MB/sec) and in high speed mode, it runs at 50Mhz (~24MB/sec). I know theres some funky translation to one of the SD ports, so one of them might not be able to run at 50Mhz, but until this is proven, assume it does.

(naw)mcx said:
Yeah, well I get 40kb/s over 8MB broadband, so they could put a 56K modem in the Pandora and I'd be happy.
So did I until my ISP changed my connection run through there own equipment instead of BTs. Now I easily get 700KBytes/sec. Previously I would get low syncs during the night and BT would limit me to daft speeds such as 512Kb as a result. My ISP doesn't do any limiting, so a quick reboot of the router and its whatever the line can do at the time.

WizardStan said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

802.11g has a max theoretical throughput of 54Mb/s, 54 million BITS per second. That's 6.75MB/s
The Pandora has a theoretical throughput of 24 MB/s, 24 million BYTES per second. The Pandora is capable of about 3.5 times the speed of a standard 802.11g card.
If you have a 100MB/s connection, I would be very impressed. That's a gig of data in 10 seconds. If you're able to download that much, the wi-fi connection isn't going to be the only bottleneck on the Pandora. :) I think you meant 100Mb/s (12.8MB/s), and even that seems questionably high.
Remember that a conversion from megabits to megabytes by dividing by 8 only works if you're talking about network speeds, storage wise you'd probably want to talk about mebibytes instead. 54 megabits = 54,000,000 bits per second.
In mebibytes that's 54 / 8 / 1024 / 1024 , or 6.44MB/s.

Also, a decent number of people have 100Mb/s connections, just mostly not in the U.S. In South Korea 40-60Mbps is standard, many people have faster connections than that. I was at my friend's dorm on campus the other day and they have gigabit running to every dorm room (and every single computer on the network gets an external IP with a 1 week lease - I.E. you could host a website from your dorm if you wanted to) and the actual internet connection there is at least 100Mb/s.

GizmoTheGreen said:
Should be separate. I asked the same question and it was vaguely "we're pretty sure they're individual controllers".
It's in that thread I linked earlier.
[/quote]
I'ts not really a "bus" if only one device is ever connected to it... I would think it'd be strange if they were individual controllers (somewhat unnecessary expense), but I suppose it's possible they could've done that.

Squidge said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
If you want to transfer files (via internet or LAN) at 10MBytes/sec, then you need a PC, not a portable gaming device :)

The SD port are variable speed and voltage. In the default modes, the bus runs at 25Mhz (~12MB/sec) and in high speed mode, it runs at 50Mhz (~24MB/sec). I know theres some funky translation to one of the SD ports, so one of them might not be able to run at 50Mhz, but until this is proven, assume it does.

(naw)mcx said:
Yeah, well I get 40kb/s over 8MB broadband, so they could put a 56K modem in the Pandora and I'd be happy.
So did I until my ISP changed my connection run through there own equipment instead of BTs. Now I easily get 700KBytes/sec. Previously I would get low syncs during the night and BT would limit me to daft speeds such as 512Kb as a result. My ISP doesn't do any limiting, so a quick reboot of the router and its whatever the line can do at the time.
I'm really glad I live near a university, we get 1024KBytes/sec continuously, no matter what time of the day it is (we only pay for 8Mb, we could get up to 24Mb and still cap it out all the time. They have insane amounts of pipes running thru this whole area.) 'Course the upload is still 512Kb, unfortunately.

rabidpoobear said:
I'ts not really a "bus" if only one device is ever connected to it... I would think it'd be strange if they were individual controllers (somewhat unnecessary expense), but I suppose it's possible they could've done that.
There isn't only one device though, there's three. The question is whether each one has its own controller, or if there's a single controller that has to be shared among the devices. Last I heard was that it's believed to be the former.

rabidpoobear said:
Remember that a conversion from megabits to megabytes by dividing by 8 only works if you're talking about network speeds, storage wise you'd probably want to talk about mebibytes instead. 54 megabits = 54,000,000 bits per second.

1) Sorry, but dividing bits by 8 to get bytes works EVERYWHERE. At least, since all non-embedded systems standardised on the 8-bit byte many moons ago. The whole SI unit debate *only* applies from byte level upwards.
2) Ok, I'm lying on 1, but only slightly. Serial/Network speeds get divided by 10 to go from bits to bytes, but NOT because of SI/marketing malarky. It's to account for protocol overhead - the extra bits are *still there*, just already in use.
3) AAARGH I wish '(gi|me|ki)bi' would die in a fire. Along with the hard drive sales guy all those years ago who thought deliberately fudging the sizes was a good idea.

@pelrun: The reasonging behind the 'dividing by 8 doesn't give the right value' argument isn't that byte != 8 bits, it's that serial transfers are almost never pure bytes, there's overhead there too. On networks, for example, the bytes are packed into an ethernet frame with a header, which is again packed into a tcp frame with a header, and so on. Thus, it's sometimes closer to the thruth to just divide by 10.

Back