Sd Woes

Draco

I got a 4 gb SD card but can only use around 1 gb of it.
At first I couldn't format it as 4gb (even with fat32) neither with the cardreader nor using the gp2x itself.
Then I tried formatting on a frined's PC with the same cardreader, wich worked for some reason.
Back at home it recognized the card as 4gb, but I could still only write 1gb to it. Anything above 1gb will give the error message "wrong parameter".
So what is the problem? :blink:
(Note that my Linux live CD also doesn't have issues with the cardreader, but using it to write some files to the card is a bit bothersome...)

Edit: Argh, wrong forum... I'm still used to the gp2x section being down here :p

XP, my friend's PC also has XP and no problems.
Also tried it on my sister's notebook wich also runs XP, but same error there...

It's really wierd since I dont know the difference between my friend's setup and mine.

Can we please pin a GODDAMN thread with the solution to this? This has been asked...so...many...times

No offense to you, LordFu, it's just that I see a thread with this every frickin day.

Anyways, a.)did you try quickformating it?

He probably has a newer driver on his machine. See if you can copy it and use it to update the driver on your machine.
Now, wich driver would that be? Since it's both the gp2x and the cardreader... an usb driver? :huh:

a.)did you try quickformating it?
Yes, it works on my friend's pc... again, putting files on the card there is also no problem.
But as soon as I try it on my comp it will only let me format 1gb no matter what.

The card is still formatted as 4gb from when i was at my friend's PC but I'm now hitting a limit at 644mb because the files are fragmented... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please pin a GODDAMN thread with the solution to this? This has been asked...so...many...times

No offense to you, LordFu, it's just that I see a thread with this every frickin day.

You realize of course that the 4GB cards are NOT part of the SD standard, you have to forgive them if they don't work, they shouldn't even exist really :).

That is why the SDHC (High Capacity) cards have come out, because the standards need to be updated, many things don't like these 4GB cards, that is why a new format has come out.

DO NOT USE the GP2X to READ SD CARDS, windows will tell you it needs a format, IT IS NOT TRUE.

Now that you have screwed the card format you need to fix it, then you can use the GP2X as a Network Drive on a USB Network device, choose those options in settings, the SD card will show up as a network drive in windows.

Try changing the partition on the card, there are different manners of partioning, one without a partition (giant floppy disk) and one with a partition, I am unsure whether you even get a choice in XP, if you use the GP2X as a USB reader you definitely DO NOT get a choice, its driver is buggy and tells windows it is a hard drive with a bad format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my suggestions, in the order I would attempt them.

1) Check your motherboard or pc manufacturer's website for a usb driver update.

2) Check your motherboard chipset manufacturer's website for a usb driver update.

3) Check windows update for a newer driver.

4) Try this driver: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1473

5) As a last resort, you could try using your friends usb.inf, if you have the same usb controller.

Ok, I tried everything, the nforce3 usb drivers didn't help...
Also tried a different cardreader... didn't help...

nothing helps :/

Back