Sd Permissions

zxxgp

Website
Visit site
I have a simple 1gb SD card that I use with my GP2X f-100 (firmware 4.1). I was adding stuff to the SD card after adding a SNES emulator (pocket SNES) and found that the drive was read only. The switch on the SD card is in the write and read mode but I still can't write. Does anybody have any ideas???

Either the SD card is corrupt, or the little lever that checks the write protect switch is broken in the GP2X. Try another sd card.

Is there a way I can reformat the SD card and fix the problem or do I need write permissions to do that???

You need write permissions to format the card (at least I know in Windows and OSX you do), assuming the card reader also respects the tab.

Try using it in different devices or card readers if you have anything available. For instance, you could try to use a digital camera to format the card, or use the GP2X as a card reader, etc.

It's a long shot but sometimes Windows disk error checking ends up solving the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

I'm guessing you already tried jiggling the tab. If not, jiggle away as it might just be the tab. If you have the dough I'd say to replace the card, especially if you see the seam between the plastic top & bottom pieces starting to give out.

Edit: people also report good luck with the Panasonic SD formatting program. But there's only so much software can do. SD cards are just flaky.
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html

I had a friend come over who has an SD card reader in his laptop. We put the card in there and it worked fine. We then used my reader with the same card and the same read only problem came back. We then tried a different SD card in the reader and were able to read and write fine. For some reason it is that card+that reader that creates a problem. I also put the card into the GP2X to read it through that and it worked fine. Do you all have any ideas as to why that combo would have a problem???

I'd still be tempted to blame the card reader, unless the SD card's write-protect tab is coming loose and the shuffling around ended up fixing it (even temporarily).

I just picked up a SanDisk MicroMate. Before that I used an older multi-reader that, while good, does not read SDHC cards. Also I had a cheap one that came with the GP2X. Anyway I am really digging the MicroMate. Very small. I say this in case you were looking for which one to get for a replacement.

Downsides: it will cover the other USB ports unless you use an extension cable. It won't read anything but SD & SDHC. Newegg does not seem to carry them anymore.

zxxgp said:
I had a friend come over who has an SD card reader in his laptop. We put the card in there and it worked fine. We then used my reader with the same card and the same read only problem came back. We then tried a different SD card in the reader and were able to read and write fine. For some reason it is that card+that reader that creates a problem. I also put the card into the GP2X to read it through that and it worked fine. Do you all have any ideas as to why that combo would have a problem???
Are you using Vista? Vista stinks when it comes to file permissions. It would not allow me to deete files of my GP2X's SD card, telling me that I didn't had authority and I might like to try as administrator. Trying as administrator also didn't work.

I am back to using XP now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back