SD card slot issues

shadow.8

So I've had my Pandora a little more than a week and it's amazing :D but I'm having weird problems with the sd card slots.

If I boot with a card in the left slot it will work as expected. I can play games, install pnds, everything seems to work and I get the expected read/write speeds. If I take the card out it will unmount as expected but if I put it back in it won't be recognized. I can sometimes hold it in half-way until the led flashes and it mounts. Then I can push it the rest of the way and it will work fine.

If I boot with a card in the right slot it will also work as expected. If I take the card out of that slot it will stay mounted and all of my pnds will still be there. If I try to launch one it will spit out an error saying "Mounting the PND failed. blah blah blah. Please have a look at /tmp/pndrun_app.out" and that file just shows I/O errors. It never unmounts. If I put the card back in and try to load an app I get the same error.

If I boot with cards in both slots they both work and both have their individual problems if I try to take them out.

I have tried reflashing but it hasn't helped. I have also tried several SD cards in every configuration I can think of and it's not the cards themselves.

Also, I have opened the back of the Pandora (to adjust the shoulder buttons to my liking) but this problem occured before I even opened it. Also, I have stripped the bottom left screw and can't get it out now :(

Any suggestions? It's not a big deal to me, the problem only happens if I take the card out while it's running. Eventually I will have 2 cards in the Pandora at all times and it won't be a big deal but if I could figure out why this is happening it would give me some piece of mind.

I had another question about my headphones. I own a pair of Nuforce NE-7M headphones which have a mic on the left headphone cable. When I plug my headphones into the Pandora I get sound but it's really distorted and strange. Another pair of headphones without a mic work just fine. Comparing the 4-pin connector of these headphones (check the link) and the pins of the Pandora (from the Pandora Hacker's guide) it seems the mic and ground pins are reversed from each other. I was curious; is there some sort of software fix to get these headphones to work? This is also something I could live with but would be cool to get it working too.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :D

Its not supposed to be necessary but are you unmounting the cards via thunar, or a right click on them on the desktop prior to removing them from the unit?

In HF4 a separate mount.sh file was made available to fix the unmounting issue, in HF5 its probably included already.

I've not had this issue myself but I have had icons for PNDs that are no longer present in desktop folders, remaining on the desktop and other icons then overlaying them. Also SD card icons with old names, thinking they are present somehow. I haven't figured the cause of either and they wont go away when it happens.

Take the SD card out and put it back in a few times...or maybe repeat this process for about 1 minute.

Tried it, didn't help. :/ Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Its not supposed to be necessary but are you unmounting the cards via thunar, or a right click on them on the desktop prior to removing them from the unit?

In HF4 a separate mount.sh file was made available to fix the unmounting issue, in HF5 its probably included already.

I've not had this issue myself but I have had icons for PNDs that are no longer present in desktop folders, remaining on the desktop and other icons then overlaying them. Also SD card icons with old names, thinking they are present somehow. I haven't figured the cause of either and they wont go away when it happens.

I haven't been unmounting them via right click or thunar but I didn't think I needed to. To test, I unmounted the second slot and put it back in, no luck.
blink.gif

I'm currently running HF5 so I would think the fix you're talking about is already on my Panda.

I don't think I'm having the problem you're talking about there but I appreciate the help.

No problem, I merely mentioned it as you'd said your PND icons were remaining after removal of the card, which is similar. Hopefully a reflash, which is very quick will get you sorted out.

I'd totally missed that you already had sorry.

I'm no expert but flashing can go wrong, so perhaps trying again maybe worth it, however a few folk might be able to tell if something is up with the filesystem, perhaps from outputs from 'dmesg' from the terminal after inserting/removing each card, or from booting without the cards, inserting them and then typing :

Code:
ls -l /media/SDCARD1NAME/

ls -l /media/SDCARD2NAME/

borrowed from here http://boards.openpa...dpost__p__59019

Paste the results to mousepad and post them up here. I cant read them myself but if others think it maybe worth a look then that's a potential to try. Aswell as checking the partitions for errors with either : GPARTED (http://apps.open-pan...her/gparted.inf) to run a 'check' on the partitions/cards or via the terminal. There's reference to doing that here http://boards.openpa...dpost__p__59974 but the command will be slightly different, as that's aimed at a partitioned card made with the authors app. You'll need the exact command from someone else, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back