Screen With Huge Blobs All Over It

kringle185

Still Fresh
Ive had this thing for a ling time, since maybe summer last year. Had it for a while and loved it then the screen started crapping out, dead pixels everywhere. I mean dead pixels not stuck ones. So I used it only as an mp3 player trying not to use the screen. At the time I didnt have money to ship it to hong kong (bought it from playasia) BUT now I have enough money. This was well into last year though, I couldnt give a too overly specific date but maybe 4 months to 5 maybe.

The screen is just nearly unplayable now, if I were really desprate I would use it but Its actually really hard to see anything.

photo0057i.jpg

as you can see there is something rectangular (guessing that is a chip or something on the motherboard)
So what I really need help with is...

Is there a way I can buy another screen, I can install it myself if its anything like a psp.

if not...

Would waranty still be available or some type of repair or something. I havent really been able to have much spare money lately to do that big shipping and now that I have the time and money I want to get it working again.

P.S.

Sorry about the crap image but it works enough to get the point across, everything else works flawlessly. And yes that it the boot screen.
And also it has been gradually been getting worse, every so often I will check back and see if time has done something to it and the blobs get worse and greater in number.

Thanks for the help!

Unless it's still under warranty from where you bought it you are simply out of luck. From what my BF tells me these type of organic screens the Wiz uses are very hard to produce which is why you don't see them much yet in larger sizes or more products like phones. He told me they have to throw out so many it's not yet very cost effective to make them even in the small ones.

I hope the ones we have stay good. Normally it's something you see early on though with the screen if it's going to go bad.

Edit: I've seen/read more people having this problem from the purchases from playasia than from Thinkgeek or the GP Store in the US.

Misty

If the unit is still under warranty, you should definitely get another one. I seriously doubt you would be able to find the screen as a replacement. You could look for a wiz that doesn't work and do it yourself. Otherwise, you would probably have to buy a new one.

Chris

Back