Screen brightness question

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Hi!

In /usr/pandora/scripts I found brightness up and down scripts among some other stuff. Can I edit those to make the minimum brightness of my pandora lower than what it is standard? (And I mean the lowest setting, not brightness 0)

If I found the right stuff, which values do I change? I see it goes +3 +5 +7 +10?

Thanks for any help :)

I don't have my Pandora OS to hand at the moment, but can't you just modify the scripts?  IIRC the sys/class stuff contains a max brightness setting only, not a min brightness, so it must be coded into the scripts.

FWIW, I think I found that my screen didn't react to any values between 0 and the first brightness level, so you might find you can't get minimum any darker.

Sorry, am a bit scared to break stuff, I rather check first before I start editing semi random stuff because with my luck the screen brightness goes off all together forcing me to reinstall the OS.

But thanks for answering. :)

I will try some stuff to see if the screen brightness can go lower or not.

You can always write values to the right /sys/class brightness file directly on Zaxxon for some reason (on my Arch netbook, I can't get permission).  So as long as you have a terminal open, in the worst case you can try blind typing 'sudo echo 255>/sys/class/.../brightness' (though I can't remember what the '...' is off-hand).

/sys/devices/platform/pandora-backlight/backlight/pandora-backlight/brightness

however, there seems not to be anything between 1 and 0.

ps: sudo su first, you need to be root

Last edited by a moderator:
On both of my units brightness behaves oddly when set below the default minimum. The CC pandora starts flickering, and the GHz unit increases the level of brightness instead of decreasing when going from 3 to 1. Actually, sometimes the CC pandora starts flickering even at level 3, I usually set it to higher level for stable operation.

Resetting the brightness level to values above 3 and closing/opening the lid restores normal backlight operation, so don't be afraid to experiment and report your results.

If for some reason you want to make the screen dimmer than the lowest brightness setting, you can (ab)use the gamma settings. The black will not get any blacker, but you can make the white/color darker that way.

I finally messed with all of this.  I wanted to try to squeeze out a few more seconds of battery life, and I figured gamma may not help there too much.  I could be wrong.  Since some things are still bright, like this page, I may mess with gamma so it is easier on my eyes.

I made a few changes in scripts to make my lowest setting 1 instead of 3.  On my CC this is working fine.  I have tested it a bit, but there are other things I want to make sure don't cause it to get screwy.  The changes are less noticeable on bright white screens.  Most of my stuff is dark, so it helps there a lot (but I still get blinded going to a white screen, such as to type this).  I feel that the difference between 1 and 3 on my screen is signifiant enough that it was worth trying it out.

I am hoping gamma will keep it from blinding me when I open something that is mostly white.  I don't know how much that will affect legibility on my display when I go outside if I forget to change it before the sun assaults my eyes.  Are there other things I should consider, or that might help protect my sensitive visual organs, other than wearing sunglasses in a dark room at night while using my Pandora?

Back