[runtime Revolution] Softs Done With It Are Portable ?

No, because the source code is not actually available and the binaries have presets.

I think the closest thing to that most people have seen is MS Access. In spirit, I guess. This appears to have some huge advantages over Access. If you want the real lowdown, check out the HyperCard article on Wikipedia, but be warned that it seems to be pretty heavily biased towards HyperCard being the best thing ever. Which is pretty debatable...RAD has it's place, but like Access, these kits allow people to make some insanely bad software.

In any case, RAD kits are not what you would want a make a game in, they are more for businesses that need simple database apps. Though there are similar things that exist for making games. Remember Klik & Play?

Runtime Revolution does support an impressive number of platforms. SPARC hardware. It looks like they have different engines for each OS/platform that runs the code.

There are loads of alternatives to this. My favourite is Qt + Python, some prefer wx or ruby or whatever. Take your pick.

Not only is Python + Qt an alternative to this, it's programming :p

It's not that you can't get real work done in these tools, it's just that at some point you either outgrow them, or you ask yourself why you haven't. They're limiting.

Back