Rtcw Dev Thread

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Im starting a new thread about return to castle wolfenstien and getting it converted to opengles for use on the pandora.

It based on the quake3 engine, which should allow leverage of the existing code from ioquake3 (ive already gone through and added what i needed)

One major difference i see is more use of the spline code, seems like q3a didnt use it or only some parts. I think i can convert it, but one area has me stumped. It may be this code will never even be run with lower quality settings.

Code:
void glLabeledPoint( idVec3 &color, idVec3 &point, float size, const char *label ) {
    qglColor3fv( color );
    qglPointSize( size );
    qglBegin( GL_POINTS );
    qglVertex3fv( point );
    qglEnd();
    idVec3 v = point;
    v.x += 1;
    v.y += 1;
    v.z += 1;
    qglRasterPos3fv( v );
    qglCallLists( strlen( label ), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, label );
}

The last 2 lines in particular. First glRasterPos and glCallLists isnt supported in ES. But with glCallLists its since the none of the other list functions are used. And where are this lists defined?
Here are where its called:

Code:
glLabeledPoint( blue, pos, ( editMode ) ? 5 : 3, "Fixed point" );
glLabeledPoint( blue, startPos, ( editMode ) ? 5 : 3, "Start interpolated" );
glLabeledPoint( blue, endPos, ( editMode ) ? 5 : 3, "End interpolated" );

Wrap with:

#if 0
#endif

Then keep going and see how the fps is, and what is missing? ;)

I'm working too long a shift to be helpful here, but I'm pretty sure in the wince build aaaaages ago (of Q3 proper) this just got commented out and left, but it wasn't used much as you say on low end platforms.

jeff

If RTCW was the one I was thinking of, the multiplayer was great. I seem to recall playing in an air-field quite a bit, but memories are too old :)

frankly, i can't imagine what id soft were thinking when they decided to use *that* part of the GL API for implementing curves.

darkblu said:
frankly, i can't imagine what id soft were thinking when they decided to use *that* part of the GL API for implementing curves.

I did some searching i couldnt find any place where it was used.

Last edited by a moderator:
That use of call lists is for quickly rendering 2D text onto the framebuffer. You define an block of contiguous lists one for each ascii character starting with ' ' and call glListBase to make the first element (' ') be the 32nd list, and when you pass the string it renders the text. With the use of glRasterPos the lists will be glBitmap calls to draw bitmap images directly onto the framebuffer rather than going through the 3D pipeline - it was a fairly standard method for writing UI text.

I can't see that being used in-game, only for editing (or debugging) - #if 0 it out as suggested.

Sorry for disturbing you, Pickle, but .. is any progress in RTCW porting?
One of my dream .. RTCW on my Pandora ... will be nice :)
Thank you!

Snappy said:
Sorry for disturbing you, Pickle, but .. is any progress in RTCW porting?
One of my dream .. RTCW on my Pandora ... will be nice :)
Thank you!

Where I did get something to run, it never was even close to being playable. Not sure what the real cause of the problems were. So sorry to say but this is still on hiatus for the foreseeable future. I do have other opengl projects that im working on to improve my knowledge, so maybe someday I can come back and see what needed to be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back