Return Of The King

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
Just gotta say that I saw 'Return of the King' last night ind it was bloody AWESOME!

In my opinion, Peter Jackson has made one of the most perfect sets of films ever put to celluloid. There is very little I can critisize about them.

I thought nothing would ever top the Classic Star Wars triogy, but this comes damn near, if not beyond....

Cracking :D

Huh, changed ending? What do you mean?

Personally, I thought that too much of the movie was sacrificed to battles instead of more character development & story (i.e. they cut out Saruman completely, and Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor was ignored; they just suddenly appear on Mt. Doom). Well, I guess that's the price you have to pay if you want the masses to see it. The masses want action. ;)

I disagree about this being better than the original Star Wars trilogy, primarily because each movie in the Star Wars trilogy was extremely balanced. The movies in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, meanwhile, sometimes feel really extended and unbalanced when you watch them.

That doesn't stop me from liking the movies, though (I was already a big fan of the books).

Esn posted on Feb 11 2004 at 05:11 AM said:
Huh, changed ending? What do you mean?

Personally, I thought that too much of the movie was sacrificed to battles instead of more character development & story (i.e. they cut out Saruman completely, and Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor was ignored; they just suddenly appear on Mt. Doom). Well, I guess that's the price you have to pay if you want the masses to see it. The masses want action. ;)

I disagree about this being better than the original Star Wars trilogy, primarily because each movie in the Star Wars trilogy was extremely balanced. The movies in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, meanwhile, sometimes feel really extended and unbalanced when you watch them.

That doesn't stop me from liking the movies, though (I was already a big fan of the books).
Perhaps the directors cut might b more ur kind of thing.

I thought the ghost scenes (the bit where they meet em and the battle where they all come out of the ship) was *AMAZING*. id gladly buy the dvd just to watch over those bits again :). jackson has done tolkein proud :pP

Last edited by a moderator:
Dozer posted on Feb 11 2004 at 07:57 AM said:
I thought the ghost scenes (the bit where they meet em and the battle where they all come out of the ship) was *AMAZING*. id gladly buy the dvd just to watch over those bits again :). jackson has done tolkein proud :pP
Bizarrely I really hated the ghost scenes, especially during the battle. It looked like some sort of chlorine gas attack dropping every orc in about 2 minutes.

They should have given up on Minus Tirith and just send them into Mordor!

I meant in the book at the end where Saruman (or Sharkey as he's known at that point) takes over the Shire with his ruffians before Frodo and crew drive him away (and Worm slits his throat and gets taken out by hobbit archers).

EDIT

I look forward to seeing the directors cut. :)

Axeman posted on Feb 10 2004 at 08:09 PM said:
I thought nothing would ever top the Classic Star Wars triogy, but this comes damn near, if not beyond....
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
damn thee who tis not believer

:D

Memnoch posted on Feb 11 2004 at 04:49 PM said:
I meant in the book at the end where Saruman (or Sharkey as he's known at that point) takes over the Shire with his ruffians before Frodo and crew drive him away (and Worm slits his throat and gets taken out by hobbit archers).

EDIT

I look forward to seeing the directors cut. :)
yeah, but i personally hated the ending of the book and was gald it was left out.
The ending in the book is way too drawn out imho and converting all the details to the film would have made the film unbelievably long.
I still think the books are way better than the films though.

When it comes to movies I have an attentionspan with a maximum of about 90 minutes. Any movie that takes a lot longer than that will have me snorring to the end (or maybe it's just a bad idea to go to a dark cinema after a hard days work).

Also I don't like western fantasy movies, maybe that helps.

Honestly, the series provides the greatest depth in plot and character development I have seen since classic like Star Wars and Dune. A lot of friends of mine seem to like The Matrix better, but I still believe that between setting, characters, plot, and just the perfection with which the director did EVERYTHING, I can't see as how The Matrix are better films. Not to mention, I really can't decide which LotR I like better and on the other hand, it's easy for me to decide that Reloaded and Revolutions did not live up to The Matrix name. Nothing will ever beat Star Wars in my mind though. Everything about them is just to intricate and perfect to be surpassed especially since the audience today is willing to throw plot out the door for action. BTW, has anyone seen the entire Band of Brothers series? Wow!

The last 2 Matrix films were woeful, I've rarely been so disappointed.

As for the best trilogy, Sergio Leone's 'man with no name' trilogy beats Star Wars and Lord of the Rings into a cocked hat (there's another colourful English expression for ya).

thebluenewt posted on Feb 12 2004 at 01:15 AM said:
The last 2 Matrix films were woeful, I've rarely been so disappointed.
The Matrix reeally wasn't that special to begin with, so many people got so excited about it, but really its just the idea of the films thats good, once you've got over that in the first film, theres not a lot left.

If you watch the first film again now you might see that it really was well over-hyped and was never going to live up to expectations.

:D like the way that the "Dream-World" Matrix thing has to be explained really slowly over and over again... (and your girlfiend still doesn't get it!!!)

[edit] Oh and on topic, LOTRs is Utterly Incredible, the work that went into them is unreal!!!

Back