Restart Menu After Program Crash

sonofsamus

Still Fresh
Rather than having to reset the whole GP2X whenever a program hangs, wouldn't it be better to have something like a BSOD pop up, which lets you restart the crashed program or return to the main menu? A daemon could keep track of which programs are running and how long it's been since each program sent it an all-clear message. If a program hasn't responded for say, two seconds or so, the BSOD would kick in. I remember reading that the MMSP2 has a watchdog timer; could it be used for this?

It would take a few extra lines of code for programs to support this, but I think it would be a lot better than having to flick the power switch off and on so often, especially when testing emulators and such.

what i do now is use a script to start my program and restart the default menu and i name my binaries without an extension. This way if for any reason my program would crash the menu gets restarted.
and it's compatible with gmenu2x since the program doesn't force load the default menu and u can select the binary (has no extension) in gmenu2x with the wrapper option.

In both menu's the they get restarted if the program would crash with this system.

only downside is that u have to add the links to the binaries manually in gmenu2x since it scans for gpe and gpu files and it would detect the script that launches the program and starts the default menu. not that big of a deal of but have to know it (if people read readme they do :) )

Back