[REQ] Any Pandoras left?

That One Seong

The Average 成
Looking here to see if anyone has one for sale. Preferably one for under $250 if possible, because it's seemingly /im/possible for me to find one anywhere.

Only if you're looking to run high-end emulators (such as N64, the later MAME ports etc) or some of the more demanding game ports. Other than that there's very little practical difference. Of course, there's the shitty silver case, so if you can avoid that you'll be doing well.

The CC Pandora, having "only" 256MB RAM often requires a swap file for memory-heavy work (such as running some dev tools) which does slow things down, but again it's more than sufficient to run pretty much everything.

D.

Only if you're looking to run high-end emulators (such as N64, the later MAME ports etc) or some of the more demanding game ports. Other than that there's very little practical difference. Of course, there's the shitty silver case, so if you can avoid that you'll be doing well.

The CC Pandora, having "only" 256MB RAM often requires a swap file for memory-heavy work (such as running some dev tools) which does slow things down, but again it's more than sufficient to run pretty much everything.

D.
So... generally it's only somewhat less capable.

While I will still be kicking myself for not having jumped on some of the 1ghz eBay auctions earlier, I suppose starting with CC would be a good place to be at first.

There are three versions...

Get a rebirth. Same ram but about 200-300 mhz less cpu power. 

There are three versions...

Get a rebirth. Same ram but about 200-300 mhz less cpu power. 
Oh I WOULD. If I had the money to spend for a Rebirth that is... At the moment, the most I can spend is $250. >.>

I'd be getting a Rebirth / 1GHZ although why not wait for the Pyra now? :)
Collector reasons, immediacy reasons, and I've always wanted one to own. Besides, something that is this uncommon is a gem to own personally.

I have a CC model Pandora, and with one exception, none of the software I've used has run out of RAM. That one PND was the Lazarus IDE, which is just awful and bloaty. And there's really no difference for the vast amount of Pandora software between the 1GHz and the CC, speed-wise.

It's a lovely bit of kit, but if the Pyra is truly on the way (and let's face it, it probably isn't) then you might want to save your cash a while longer.

D.

I have a CC model Pandora, and with one exception, none of the software I've used has run out of RAM. That one PND was the Lazarus IDE, which is just awful and bloaty. And there's really no difference for the vast amount of Pandora software between the 1GHz and the CC, speed-wise.

It's a lovely bit of kit, but if the Pyra is truly on the way (and let's face it, it probably isn't) then you might want to save your cash a while longer.

D.
Excellent. Then I'll most definitely see about buying the bundle from DragonBox.

One more question (I swear); How is DragonBox Shop in terms of shipping to the Americas (Specifically the East Coast in my case)? It's the equivalent of importing but would be helpful to know.

In terms of the Pyra: I've seen some of it, and have seen most of the reveal conference. In my opinion, the thing is impressive looking as all hell, but in my opinion, the Pandora still is attractive to me for it's unique design and especially for the already existant huge software library. If anything, I will MAYBE check into the Pyra after it's matured and such when it comes out like... next year most likely, but for now, the Pandora is what my sights are on now. And to be short, I've waited farrrrrrrrrrrr too long for this to lose it. XD

-Seong

I think the cc model on the dragonbox website is within your price range plus shipping. It also comes with some more goodies. I believe they ship fairly quick once you make the payment. There are several shipping options also available. Good luck!

We'll also have pre-owned Pandoras with new LCDs, LCD Cables and cases in the shop about March / April.

And you can always upgrade the board to a 1GB later as well...

D.
Excellent. Then I'll most definitely see about buying the bundle from DragonBox.

One more question (I swear); How is DragonBox Shop in terms of shipping to the Americas (Specifically the East Coast in my case)? It's the equivalent of importing but would be helpful to know.

In terms of the Pyra: I've seen some of it, and have seen most of the reveal conference. In my opinion, the thing is impressive looking as all hell, but in my opinion, the Pandora still is attractive to me for it's unique design and especially for the already existant huge software library. If anything, I will MAYBE check into the Pyra after it's matured and such when it comes out like... next year most likely, but for now, the Pandora is what my sights are on now. And to be short, I've waited farrrrrrrrrrrr too long for this to lose it. XD

-Seong
Since you're in the US, you might check Link's store too - shipping could be much lower and may be faster for 'ground' - though how something could ship by 'ground' under the Atlantic I have no idea.  The last thing I sent to Germany took 26 days to get there, so they must be using a covered wagon on the sea floor or something.

The other option would be to buy one of the refurbished units from ED's store in March.

The Pyra is coming together nicely, but Realistically the Pyra is probably still 6+ months out.  That is a long wait when the a CC or Rebirth Pandora is an order click and shipping time away.

Since you're in the US, you might check Link's store too - shipping could be much lower and may be faster for 'ground' - though how something could ship by 'ground' under the Atlantic I have no idea.  The last thing I sent to Germany took 26 days to get there, so they must be using a covered wagon on the sea floor or something.

The other option would be to buy one of the refurbished units from ED's store in March.

The Pyra is coming together nicely, but Realistically the Pyra is probably still 6+ months out.  That is a long wait when the a CC or Rebirth Pandora is an order click and shipping time away.

Sorry but... "Link's Store"? I have no issue, as I'm shortly about to order one, but not familiar with anything but ED's store. X'D

But yeah, you're right about the Pyra. It looks great, but again for the collector in me and for practicality and reliability, I still could REALLY use one of the Pandoras. I won't immediately drop for Pyra as to be honest I don't even know if I could even afford it if the starting price is as bad as when the Pandora first launched!  :lol:

I really have to admit, I've heard some nice opinions on this community, but this example is really showing how good this place is! I GREATLY appreciate the help you've all given in helping accepting me into this community. I will say it's been a long time coming I suppose, but I sure am hyped, as odd as it may be. ^-^;

Last edited by a moderator:
link's store is a US distributor. but he does not have any in stock anyway. stick with dragonbox, if you need it now.

Just what I thought. Pretty much all the US distributors from the main launch site are either non-existent or out of stock.
For the US, Link's Ithic.com is/was the only US distributor...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back