Really Cheap SD cards

I have no idea about the speed. The package says nothing about speed. I will have to wait until I get my GP2X. :huh:

edit: Does the speed of the SD affect your access time? Does it affect your game playing?

No... the sizes of games are too small for speed worries

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww! You've smashed his happy dream, nubie... that wasn't very nice :(

@darkman: I'm sure it'll be a very lovely 300x (at least) and show nubie up ;)

I have no idea about the speed. The package says nothing about speed. I will have to wait until I get my GP2X. :huh:

edit: Does the speed of the SD affect your access time? Does it affect your game playing?

No... the sizes of games are too small for speed worries
Sorry, must have at least 100x for some programs or you will be sorry, PSX4GP2X is an example, to load the ISO takes forever on a regular Sandisk (I have done it, not fun).

Even if that is not a concern you must think about transferring game, movie and mp3 files to the GP2X at one time or another, if you have the regular speed one it will be something like a half-hour to transfer some things due to the slow write speed. Using a card reader of course, it really will start to annoy you when you want to play and it will take 15mins to copy this or that onto the card.

Don't feel too bad about $30, I paid $50 for mine (and that was a good deal) in Wal-Mart, like I said I returned it, it should be fine for Genesis, GBC, SNES, and smaller games/vid clips/mp3s.

Anything like full-length movies and PSX ISOs will need a bigger card eventually anyway.

Awww! You've smashed his happy dream, nubie... that wasn't very nice :(

@darkman: I'm sure it'll be a very lovely 300x (at least) and show nubie up ;)
Yeah, ignorance is Bliss, must be why I am unhappy ;) :p :D

From some of the things that you mentioned that it would affect, I should not have any problem. There will be no movies that will touch any of my game systems! To me game systems are for games. And I am not interested in the Playstation Emu.
looking around locally I have yet to find any package of an SD card that says anything about the transfer speed. Is it a special card?

since you mentioned NES and SNES, ill let you off :p
I'm letting him off for the Genesis :p :D.

It doesn't matter anyway, he will eventually need another card and for $23 he can get a 150x 1GB card :).

By that time he will realize the importance of speed in moving stuff onto and off of the SD, even Emulators and Roms for retro-gaming.

since you mentioned NES and SNES, ill let you off :p
I'm letting him off for the Genesis :p :D.

It doesn't matter anyway, he will eventually need another card and for $23 he can get a 150x 1GB card :).

By that time he will realize the importance of speed in moving stuff onto and off of the SD, even Emulators and Roms for retro-gaming.

Surely it is not slower than the GP32 link up. I have no trouble with that. It is very fast. We are not talking about going backward here are we? :blink: My GP32 is a simple drag and drop and it's transfered. It's that fast with 2.0 USB.

Surely it is not slower than the GP32 link up. I have no trouble with that. It is very fast. We are not talking about going backward here are we? :blink: My GP32 is a simple drag and drop and it's transfered. It's that fast with 2.0 USB.
I don't know how to compare those I never had a GP32.

It may not be completely awful, but remeber it is a 1,000 MB card now, not a 128MB card, you will see what I mean.

I would just mention that if you are going to buy one at all it is only wise to get a 100x or more and a cheap (under $10) card reader.

I refuse to use a portable device as a card reader, including digital cameras, it is just dumb to do.

I might be persuaded to use it as a Samba server and drag and drop to a network folder in Network Neighborhood, because that actually sounds cool.

You just have to go into settings and set the USB mode to "network" and the "shared" to "SD".

Try it, I had a 1GB Sandisk regular and wished it was faster, you might not be bothered by it.

You could always sell it and buy a fast card and a card reader.

Back