Raspberry Pi 4 released

Ordered with Element14 (Newark), the shipping date keeps being pushed out... wish they could just solidly tell me it's going to be delayed for a month instead of pushing the shipping date out every two days.

Ordered with Element14 (Newark), the shipping date keeps being pushed out... wish they could just solidly tell me it's going to be delayed for a month instead of pushing the shipping date out every two days.

Yep that is pissing me off. I had 05 Jul, then 12 Jul, now 16 Jul. I paid them almost a month ago.

At no point did they say "backordered" and they are charging $11 for shipping.

Not happy about this. Might cancel it and get an in stock 2GB from someone else.

The issue is that the USB-C power circuit doesn't follow the spec. There are two pins that are each supposed to have a separate resistor, but they designed the board with a single shared resistor for those pins. It's a small thing, but it means that many high-current power supplies will limit themselves because they won't see the RPi4 as a high current device, and it won't be enough power for the board to actually boot. It also means that a few fast chargers (the pixel charger, for sure) mistakenly think the RPi4 can handle high voltage charging. It definitely can't, and this results in a fried RPi.

So not the end of the world as long as you limit yourself to confirmed-compatible power supplies, but it's still an irritating mistake that could and should have been avoided.

According to the link I posted, it's possible that a USB-C power supply will not only see it as something that can't take high current charging, but actually something that shouldn't have the power line connected at all, because they are audio adaptors that don't have any active electronics on board but allow you to still plug in a charger so that you haven't lose the charge port on a single port phone. Presumably they pwm the data lines to give you stereo headphone output or something like that, but I've never actually come across on of these so called adaptors before so I'm guessing there.

And it's not so much that you need a compatible power supply. You need a dumb power supply that can chuck out a chunk of juice, and thanks to the wonderful new world of USB-C apparently you need to make sure the cable your using doesn't have too many smarts either. You could argue that compatible == dumb, but it's not something you'll read on the box features many times.

After newark pushed my date again (05, 12, 16, 22) I cancelled with them and purchased a 2GB from canakit. Along with an amazon layered case that came with a fan and power cord.

Got it in less than a week.

I debated on waiting for the 4GB. But meh don't think I would ever actually use that much ram on a Pi especially since it is double the other pis already, I build my own stripped raspbian, and I can always wait till they are more ubiquitous if i want the 4gb.

I will likely get another at some point. I use them for servers, media centers (pi 4 should support 1080p netflix software decoding now), and desktop setups.

Last edited:
Honestly not that concerned with it arriving for a while, have a bit of vacation In the coming weeks, so when it comes it does, already 3D printed a case, got heatsinks, fan and a PSU sorted already.

Was going to cancel my 4GB RPi4 order this week if it didn't ship, but somehow Newark could read my mind and it shipped yesterday and should have it on Friday...

Ooof glad I cancelled. That is absurd to do when they never mentioned out of stock or backordered.

According to the link I posted, it's possible that a USB-C power supply will not only see it as something that can't take high current charging, but actually something that shouldn't have the power line connected at all, because they are audio adaptors that don't have any active electronics on board but allow you to still plug in a charger so that you haven't lose the charge port on a single port phone. Presumably they pwm the data lines to give you stereo headphone output or something like that, but I've never actually come across on of these so called adaptors before so I'm guessing there.

And it's not so much that you need a compatible power supply. You need a dumb power supply that can chuck out a chunk of juice, and thanks to the wonderful new world of USB-C apparently you need to make sure the cable your using doesn't have too many smarts either. You could argue that compatible == dumb, but it's not something you'll read on the box features many times.

Do you know if this was fixed in recent 4b models? Just ordered a model B, but uncertain if it comes with a charger (have some Anker and Choetech cables -which are "Google developer tested" USBC compliant-, and a Choetech charger (also C compliant) - which am uncertain will fry the Pi if this still is an issue).

I think they've fixed it, yes, but I'm not sure it's flooded all of the channels yet. Depends to an extent where you're getting it from I guess. And unless you've bought a bundle, I'd bet it doesn't come with a charger. I had to buy one special when I bought my pi-alike.

Looking back at what I wrote, I don't think it'll fry your Pi if it doesn't work, just not power it properly at all in the worst case.

Fix has been seen since January.
I'm looking to buy one with fix as well.

Saw some press release two weeks ago and checked stock on my favourite resellers. They had >2k on stock.

As it doesnt got a new product number and is only visible on the PCB itself it's impossible to buy one of the new revision by choise.

So I'll wait until they might flooded stock and then I will order (and check what arrived)

Back