Raspberry Pi 4 released

Delightful Dude

Let's rock!
In case someone is interested:
Raspberry PI 4 is out now.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-from-35/

Specs:
  • A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU (~3× performance)
  • 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
  • Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
  • Dual monitor support, at resolutions up to 4K
  • VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x
  • 4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
  • Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products

Finally they use faster cores.

I wonder why they still use A72 cores and not more recent ones.

As soon as RetroPie supports this, I'm gonna grab one to upgrade the Arcade Cab with. Finally should get playable PowerDrift :D

Someone on another forum seems to indicate you can boot through the USB3 and get decent speeds. So finally you can get a decent boot device by hooking up an SSD in an enclosure via USB if you so wish (which I do).

GLES 3 is a welcome addition too.

Finally they use faster cores.

I wonder why they still use A72 cores and not more recent ones.
Likely to still be able to hit the $35 entry point (well for the 1GB version at least).

Everybody's favorite cheap SBC just got a major hardware update.

zMuhRJZ.png

Still (starting at) $35, the newest Pi packs a quad core 1.5GHz 64bit A72 CPU, broadcom's latest videocore VI GPU with 4k/60Hz and hardware HEVC support, two microHDMI ports, USB type-C power input, two USB3.0 ports (in addition to two 2.0 ports), and gigabit ethernet. The cheap version still has 1GB of RAM, but it's been upgraded to LPDDR4. You can opt for 2GB or 4GB, with each increment costing an extra $10.

The new board keeps as true to the original layout as possible, so nearly all existing addon boards will work. Due to the new miniHDMI ports, USB-C port, and slight rearranging of the USB and ethernet ports, old cases will not work. Not without some modification, at least.

To go with the new hardware, the Raspberry Pi foundation is providing a completely overhauled raspbian distro based on debian 10. The new raspbian includes a new graphics subsystem based on mesa V3D drivers. This should (supposedly) provide better 3D acceleration with less overhead.

The Pi 4 should (on paper) be 2-3x as powerful as the RPi 3B+. Full speed N64 and much more playable (if not flawless) dreamcast is likely. I expect we'll see all sorts of emulator benchmarks on youtube from the usual suspects in the coming days.

More info on the official site.

[Merged Threads]
I think this section betters suites this thread than General Off-topic.

I got a Rockpro64 and use it as a Server.
It has 2 A72 and 4 A53 cores.
And has 2 SATA and 2 USB 3 ports.
The SATA was important for my server needs.

But i'm happy that the Raspberry finally uses faster cores and has real Gigabit Ethernet :)

Bad news for the clones makers :^)

There is plenty of room in the SBC market for alternatives. Probably not enough room for all the literal hundreds of alternatives that currently exist, but still.

While this is a much-needed upgrade for the Pi, there are definitely more powerful boards out there for those who need as much grunt as they can get. There are also smaller and cheaper boards for those pinching pennies. I don't see many of the other SBC makers going anywhere any time soon.

Clones are usually the same as the original.
And there's only one alternative, not plenty :^) .

Looks like this one finally has decent 1080p video performance. I was disappointed by the 3b for everyday/media use.

Clones are usually the same as the original.
In terms of the OSes that run and the user experience, sure, but in terms of the parts that make them up, no other boards get their cpus from Broadcom. Other boards use CPUs from Freescale/NXP, Allwinner, Samsung and Rockchip amongst a handful of others. I've not looked into how these CPUs compare in terms of integer grunt and graphics, and for how long you'll be able to achieve those levels with only passive cooling, but assuming this new Broadcom part is above what other can do yet they've got a little catching up to do.

Unfortunately, finding out exactly what these chips can do requires a lot of research and probably these days your personal sign up to a number of different sites, but @ptitSeb probably has a decent idea of what modern Samsung parts can do from his ODroid work, and @Exophase is the king of esoteric CPU stats, if he's still about at the moment.

Back