Rapidracoon Progress

Goity posted on Feb 26 2007 at 06:04 PM said:
But surely DRM would be a whole lot more difficult with GPL?
Not necessarily, the (afaik unfinished) GPL v3 is supposed to avoid DRM, but the current version says nothing about it so there's no real problem.

If you are worried about a drm scheme being inviable if people can see the code, well, unless it is a very sloppy implementation, having the source of the decoding software serves no purpose without having the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am glad to see that this game is still being developed. When will it be completed?

sam fisher posted on Feb 26 2007 at 01:55 PM said:
There is a HUGE reason why commercial software avoids GPL. Because when released, I would just ask for the source and compile it myself.

Even if its GPLed I believe you're not entitled to the source unless you buy it first.

Mark

Edit: Didn't mean to hijack the thread for GPL wars! Looks a pretty game. Is it Wipeout ish? I've not played that...

Nice screenshots... They reminded me a lot of MEGARACE.

BUt..thats a good thing...megarace was really cool back in 1995 ;)

nice, looks like you guys have improved the 3D engine since the video.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that if they used GPU940 they wouldn't get the performance they're getting out of it since they're writing their customized ASM engine, which is by far the best way to go. Can't remember whether or not they make use of the arm940t tho, I think not.

it use only the 920 for the rendering and the 940 for the sound play

foft posted on Feb 26 2007 at 11:12 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 26 2007 at 01:55 PM said:
There is a HUGE reason why commercial software avoids GPL. Because when released, I would just ask for the source and compile it myself.

Even if its GPLed I believe you're not entitled to the source unless you buy it first.

Mark

Edit: Didn't mean to hijack the thread for GPL wars! Looks a pretty game. Is it Wipeout ish? I've not played that...
This is true to an extent, however, any customer "buying" the gpled code would instantly have redistribution rights over it and would be legally entitled to give the source code to whoever he wished.

License discussion is always good as long as it causes awareness, there's way too many misunderstandings about open licenses around, even by people who frequently use them.

It's nice to see more about this game. It certainly seems to have the WOW factor! I still have the old video of this and show it to people interested in the GP2x! :)

Off topic GPL stuff:

There are many speeches about the GPL at the GNU website: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html

I urge everyone who isn't familiar with the GNU project to listen to what Richard Stallman has to say. Even if you don't personnally believe in Free or Open Source Software (FOSS), his story is indeed an interesting one!

Shadowsithe posted on Feb 26 2007 at 04:47 AM said:
Untitled-15.png

A look at a new track.
Looks nice. A little bit empty and boring but I'm sure the game will be filled with "stuff" :)
What features will be in the game? "Just" simple straight racing or more things like story, stunts, mean opponents bonus-things...?

Back