Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

• I think 256 would make it the best!!!

• Make it extreeeeme!!! 512!!!!!

• Total voters

Very true, I just made the remark to poke fun at those who feel they NEED more ram. It was just a funny thought. I know an upgrade is possible, but entirely too difficult to make plausible. -CB

GunPei2X said:
Quick example: Squidge said that he got a game requiring 128mb minimum on PC to run on the GP32 in under 8mb RAM, no sweat.
I'm fairly sure it was 64mb... specifically Beats of Rage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yrx said:
lol, 6 people are extreme so far. I wonder how many of them were actually serious.
Mine wasn't serious. It reminded me of the douche bags from Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, "Extreme!" :D

Zarneth said:
Didn't someone already state with reasonably certainty that the ram comes pre-soldered to the arm chip? And that we're already getting these chips a few months before the normal catalog release date too? (I'm sure I read something like that) What's with these polls that keep popping up once something's been all but completely confirmed not possible, already decided or impractical. Though at least this poll seems to have had more than 15 seconds thought put into it. :huh:
Because people are arrogant They always want more without thinking about if they actually need more!

atomicthumbs said:
HAY GUYZ CAN I HEARD THAT THERE IS NEW MMPS2++ HOW ABOUT THAT INSTEAD OF OMAP K
LOLZ, DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE PS2?!?!?! PS2 EMULATION FTW!

-God Ginrai

Squidge said:
This isn't Windows, a web browser doesn't need 256MB in order to display flash/java.
true the PSP dosn't even use a quarter of that. I like 128 if there is ever a ram update more would always be welcomed.

JakeK said:
Zarneth said:
Didn't someone already state with reasonably certainty that the ram comes pre-soldered to the arm chip? And that we're already getting these chips a few months before the normal catalog release date too? (I'm sure I read something like that) What's with these polls that keep popping up once something's been all but completely confirmed not possible, already decided or impractical. Though at least this poll seems to have had more than 15 seconds thought put into it. :huh:
Because people are arrogant They always want more without thinking about if they actually need more!

Comparing to the GP2X, the CPU is atleast 6 times faster and the GPU must be 10s of times more powerful in 3D and 100s of times for powerful in 3D. (Maybe a little exaggeration)

People expect a lot because they are getting alot, in nearly every catagory, except memory capacity which is double. Or less than double if you consider that a UMPC OS will be used. (As suggestions by Craig&Co)

Once you start porting linux apps, as done for the GP2X, you'll find that a lot more games will fit the CPU, Display and GPU requirements. Memory will be tricky in these cases. It just doesn't scale in the same as all the other bits. 128MB is fine for a lot of good apps and I'll be happy with that. We'll still be able to test the limits of the machine by creating homebrew made to suit the limitations, rather than porting premade homebrew that will typically require a lot more than 128MB of RAM.

128MB of RAM for Windows XP/Vista/Ultra-cute Linux is not enough, but it is more than enough for a handheld console :)

It is pretty uncommon for an application to use more than 128MB of RAM (except Firefox 2 and Adobe Acrobat), if you intend to use Pandora to open 10 applications at the same time, then Pandora is not for you, buy a laptop. If you intend to use Pandora as I intend to (play one game at a time, ocassionally browse through media, etc) then you're gonna be more than happy with that ammount of RAM.

In fact, Windows 2000 runs pretty well with 128MB of RAM, applications and all. As someone said before, don't compare computer RAM vs. handheld RAM. If that were the case, I'm pretty sure that most of you wouldn't buy a computer with 4MB of RAM, the ammount of RAM on the NDS :)

And finally, don't underestimate the power of 128MB! Comparing its RAM is like saying that Pandora should have a 40" display, since I wouldn't buy a TV with less than 40".

jdh2550 said:
JakeK said:
Because people are arrogant
Is that all "people" or just you? ;-)

I didn't say 'all.' Several homebrew developers have commented on the size of 128MB and other people saying that 128MB is more than enough. Yet we still get people thinking that just because it may be possible to get that they need it, of course ignoring all of the other negatives related too it.

I mean c'mon, it is a handheld console, not some laptop.

Back