Wiz Ram Size

Was any useful GP2X program ever limited by lack of RAM? Maybe the emulators that could load large roms in a single go instead of streaming them, but those are so few.

I honestly think that 64MB is more than enough for the games and apps that will be fun to use on the Wiz, I doubt we`ll run Firefox or OpenOffice on it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah one of the things I was thinking about was emulators with large roms like neo geo or some other arcade games. It is a bit more encouraging to hear a dev of great games not concerned with the amount of ram though. To me it seemed it should have more ram but I also mainly wanted to hear what the devs had to say about it. Any devs have an issue with the amount of ram or is it not really an issue?

The Wiz has double the RAM of the Playstation 2, and the PS2 manages quite well with all it's games :)

The G1 Phone has 192 MB or something like this but never mind ( would like 128 MB too but 64 MB is enought ,, too PSP has 32 MB ) ..
It also depends on the RAM type for example :
My PC has 2 GB some have 4 GB but the xbox has 512 MB but not DDR2 it has DDR3

Edit:( xbox has 3 cores clocked on 3,2 GHz and my PC only 2 cores clocked on 2,2 GHz ,, it also depends on who will dev on it the big companies don't need too much ram they have people who make it work with small size of ram )

I doubt we`ll run Firefox or OpenOffice on it wink.gif

I would like firefox on it :) :) .. Or some other browser would be nice too ,, other way why do We need the WiFi - just for multiplayer games ??

The big reason why PCs need so much RAM is because of the operating system. Not only are you running a game but Windows as well. Another advantage of consoles is that developers can optimize their programs to a specific hardware.

Take into account the entire 64 MB are not available to Linux (the upper 16 MB, or more i'm not sure, are not accesible without hacks, and i have gotten extrange behaviours using them, such as huge slowdowns, we need the upper memory map to know the memory range it can be really used).

Anyway 64 MB is not enough for later and better MAME port and more important it's not enough for a decent Linux distro...

I believe the wiz is running short on memory for the quake games. There are missing textures, pandora does not.
For example quake2 running with sound runs out of memory going in game.

The amount of free memory right now is just under 40MB, unless GPH changed it for newer firmware.

I have a specification list for the Wiz before anything went public listing the RAM as 128MB. It's possible they couldn't buy the part they wanted in the quantities they expected to use, but it's more likely it was a cost saving decision.

It seems like a real mistake to me but since they are focusing on Flash media, their analysis must have concluded 64MB was all that was needed for the final product.

'MWeston' said:
It seems like a real mistake to me but since they are focusing on Flash media, their analysis must have concluded 64MB was all that was needed for the final product.
That's why most of the built in games packaged with the Wiz are not flash games at all :blink:

'Peter R' said:
'MWeston' said:
That's why most of the built in games packaged with the Wiz are not flash games at all :blink:

And why they've delayed the launch for months because Flash support isn't up to snuff..

'Peter R' said:
'MWeston' said:

Oh, I thought all of you folks with the first round of Wiz's were working on flash games. I thought that was why certain people were selected in the beginning as opposed to the more emulator/regular porting people as of lately. My mistake.

Well I have a gr8 idea ask GPH for more ram maybe 128/256 MB and then just wait 2 months ( delay ) - Wait I thought We don't want more delay ?? :) :)

I expected them to increase the RAM during the delay, I mean going from 64M to 128M on the old style RAM they are using would only add a couple of dollars. It's strange.

'craigix' said:
I expected them to increase the RAM during the delay, I mean going from 64M to 128M on the old style RAM they are using would only add a couple of dollars. It's strange.
Maybe the delay is actually costing them money? It would be nice though to have a bit more ram. I wonder how much ram the board can support?

'craigix' said:
Maybe but I don't think they will do it :) :)

Hmm, only 40MB free?

Does seem limiting. Then again the PSP has some amazing emulators and much less RAM.

128MB would be ideal. But the big problem IMO is that diagonal tearing issue in 320x240 mode. I hate screen tearing, it's really distracting.

Back