Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
trooper posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:35 AM said:
Sorry guys, But slightly off topic.

Does anyone really, And i mean REALLY know the benefit/s of a raid array.

There are different kinds of RAIDs, classified by levels:

RAID0:

Also called striping - Data is saved over all connected drives in your raid - This way you get maximum performance, because a file is written to/read from all the drives at once, ie. you got a 1mb file and 4 drives in your raid, so 256kb go on each drive.
The bad part about it: if one drive goes tits up, your files are corrupted. FUBAR.

RAID1:

Mirroring, Guess what, saves the same file to two different harddisks (or stripesets, which would be RAID10 then), good for security, but expensive (because you need to buy twice the storage you can actually use)

RAID3/5:

Those two are pretty similar, basically RAID0 with extra drives for parity (which means, if one of your drives dies, the missing file informations are recovered on the fly using the parity drive data), so, if you have three 120gb harddisks you can use 2 for storage and one for parity, resulting in 240gb storage. The difference between 3 and 5 is just the way the parity data is saved.

Last edited by a moderator:
don posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:47 AM said:
trooper posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:35 AM said:
Sorry guys, But slightly off topic.

Does anyone really, And i mean REALLY know the benefit/s of a raid array.

There are different kinds of RAIDs, classified by levels:

RAID0:

Also called striping - Data is saved over all connected drives in your raid - This way you get maximum performance, because a file is written to/read from all the drives at once, ie. you got a 1mb file and 4 drives in your raid, so 256kb go on each drive.
The bad part about it: if one drive goes tits up, your files are corrupted. FUBAR.

RAID1:

Mirroring, Guess what, saves the same file to two different harddisks (or stripesets, which would be RAID10 then), good for security, but expensive (because you need to buy twice the storage you can actually use)

RAID3/5:

Those two are pretty similar, basically RAID0 with extra drives for parity (which means, if one of your drives dies, the missing file informations are recovered on the fly using the parity drive data), so, if you have three 120gb harddisks you can use 2 for storage and one for parity, resulting in 240gb storage. The difference between 3 and 5 is just the way the parity data is saved.

So there is no REAL benefit of a raid array in any configuration, Unless you`ve got crap loads of money or are multi-million £/$ company with shed loads of data to back-up ;) , Mmmmmm, I think i`ll stick to cd-rw`s or dvd-rw`s, A lot cheaper and probably more reliable. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Oct u sound like a nazi saying shit like lets just kill every one with aids and we well all be happy and rich......christ think about what u say be for u say it. Didnt you have this problem before???

Bourbon

Aids came from african monkeys.. It was contracted by africans who hunted these monkeys and got the HIV Virus in them from the dead monkeys blood (it got into the peoples open wounds) It was eventually spread through sex and then drug needles and so on..

There ya go.. And yes these are FACTs, I had to do a huge ass reserch paper on AIDs/HIV Last year in health...

tekt5 posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:23 AM said:
Aids came from african monkeys.. It was contracted by africans who hunted these monkeys and got the HIV Virus in them from the dead monkeys blood (it got into the peoples open wounds) It was eventually spread through sex and then drug needles and so on..

There ya go.. And yes these are FACTs, I had to do a huge ass reserch paper on AIDs/HIV Last year in health...

Thats what i hate most people dont know what there talking about. We had some one from the red cross come in to are health class and talk to us she had aids, one time she said she shook hands with our govener then told him she had aids so he started to wipe his hand off...what an ass....any way thats what happens when u tell rumors. Bottem line know what ur talking about before you open ur mouth.

Bourbon

bourbon posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:21 AM said:
Oct u sound like a nazi saying shit like lets just kill every one with aids and we well all be happy and rich......christ think about what u say be for u say it. Didnt you have this problem before???

Bourbon

That was his friend Prince Harry who said that not him.

look posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:34 AM said:
bourbon posted on Feb 10 2005 at 02:21 AM said:

Bourbon

That was his friend Prince Harry who said that not him.

Tho repeating dose not make it any better.

Bourbon

right, how bout we forget it, I wont finish my last post, and everything will be just peachy

and yes, I claimed from the begginingit was a joke, but as no one thought it was funny ( how could you actually think I was being serious about Africa?? wow..... ) , I am just giving up

but, I will warn others that they shouldnt take everything they see literaly ( especially on the web ) ... I thought that common sense would have kicked in but I guess I was wrong

so, cant hurt to tell anyone

and, If anyone tells Redneck jokes, tell me, I love Redneck jokes, hell, I love jokes

~Octavious

( PS, RAID is nice to have, its much faster, but there are downsides like he mentioned , but would it even be worth it to try and RAID GP32's?? it definatley wouldnt be ... efficent , a USB flash drive RAID array would seem better)

octavious has come aqcross as a bit of a dick in this thread...

AIDS is a bit more complicated than *YOU CHOSE TO GET IT YOU SHAG ANYTHING ON 2 LEGS!!!*

nobody *chooses* to contract HIV (the virus that leads to AIDS...)

personally I defend the non-pc sense of humour...

ah well... *bows out of this thread...* (for now)

edit: i've not got a problewm with you, oct... maybe it's the 'internet effect' but you actually *did* kinda sound like a dick...

well, Ill have to check out that comedian, and thanks for... understanding me... sort of... kinda... ya
anyways,
there is an advantage to RAID, its so much faster
I use RAID 0, but am going to RAID 1 soon
Its great in everything, load times in games go down A LOT
you dont have to be rich, my NF7-s cost less than most of " hardcore " gamers motherboards, comes with RAID onboard controller, and I have 2 7200RPM 60 gigs , about $50 each, and its nice

If you emulate PlayStation on your rig, go like me
Rip your CD's to your HDD, and youll get 15 -20 more frames running on ePSXe
great option for not so up to par computers

~Octavious

CABBAGES posted on Feb 9 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
We dont need to kill everyone with aids all we need to do is stop haveing sex with lots of people and stop takin drugs then there will be no aids. I wonder tho if this is why aids has appeared ?:eek: i mean if we didnt sleep around with lots of people and didnt use dirty needles then there would be no aids ? :huh:  So where did it come from ? :huh:

I cant tell whether your post is 100% real or not.

What on earth have you been brainwashed with ? Stop having sex with lots of people and stop taking drugs will automatically stop AIDS ? What planet are you on ??? (in a sarcastic voice) Stop the press, 'Cabbage' knows how to stop AIDS ! Dont take drugs and stop having sex with lots of people like good christians !.

I'm sure the doctors of the world will agree with you. You'll be telling me next how to stop cancer, dont tell me, dont go out in the sun ?

The way you are talking is that you really fucking think AIDS was created by God to take away all the 'bad people' in the world who are gay or take drugs ? Sounds like you are saying that sort of thing.

Your views on AIDS and how to stop it are seriously shocking.

You might not know but even if you wear a condom you could get someone pregnant or you could even catch AIDS or some other disease sadly.

People who do using dirty needles or having unprotective sex with strangers obviously do have a huge risk of catching it, but someone who has just one sexual partner and was 'safe' could still catch it.

Had to reread your post a few times as i couldnt believe what i was reading.

As for Octavious you arent helping the stereotypical view of country folk one bit. Would hate to hear your views on different races.

1stly: Calling everything "gay" is an insult, as it is used in a negative term, which make gay seem like a bad thing. It is offensive to everyone and is being clamped down on in schools, finally. Calling a coke machine gay because it ate your cash doesn't get it back. Does it? No.

2ndly: Although most of this has been stated Aids is a dieseise contracted from monkeys by explorers and locals, it can be contracted any way blood is mixed and not only with that of an infected person, although it you drink 8 pints of an infected persons saliva the chance are you can get it. It is not a "Gay mans deseise" or one only for people who sleep around. It can be contracted during protected sex as protection can break. It can also be contract though a single act of sex, when some one else sleeps with several people a week. IS THAT FAIR? no.
Also though any form of surgery it can be contract by a single act of carelessness on the doctors behalf.

3rdly: Octavious, You have come across as an arrogant, ignorant, spoilt child, with a neo nazi tendancy to kill everyone who is not normal. IS that how you want to be viewed? Seen as internet bullys are mostly people with no lives them selves, I would think not. Nothing you said has been funny not even that pathetic apoligy. You wouldn't say these things in real life so why do it here?

4thly: Why the hell is this topic still open? It is off the rails, it is offense to many people and should be closed by now. I'm sure a moderater will normally say something like "Wrong Forum" as this is more general talk and no long discuss the Program Raid.

3rdly: Octavious, You have come across as an arrogant, ignorant, spoilt child, with a neo nazi tendancy to kill everyone who is not normal.

You were doing so well up until that point!!! :D

I wrote a better long one but the post failed and went missing.
I meant to put "" round normal as to emphasize the steorotype part
but thanks for the comment

first of all, I think I have a life, friends, girlfriend, NHS sstudent, good social life, State Ranked athlete in 2 sports ( well, my team got me to one of those but still )
I am happy

but, come on, DOU YOU ACTUALLY THINK THAT I WAS BEING SERIOUS!!??!!

tell me, for petes sake, that you didnt, cause I dont think anyone is THAT thick

ok, so you didnt see it funny, Im sorta fine with that, but you actually believed me?
who are you to say I am being brainwashed by US government in schools and crap when you cant detect the slightest hint of satire???

Wow...

~Octavious

If you read the post I said that you wouldn't want to be view like that, meaning thats not what you are probally.

Also the things you said are not to be taken lightly or jokingly. I guess Hilter was just kidding around when he killed 6 million jews.

Octavious posted on Feb 10 2005 at 11:12 PM said:
first of all, I think I have a life, friends, girlfriend, NHS sstudent, good social life, State Ranked athlete in 2 sports ( well, my team got me to one of those but still )
I am happy

but, come on, DOU YOU ACTUALLY THINK THAT I WAS BEING SERIOUS!!??!!

tell me, for petes sake, that you didnt, cause I dont think anyone is THAT thick

ok, so you didnt see it funny, Im sorta fine with that, but you actually believed me?
who are you to say I am being brainwashed by US government in schools and crap when you cant detect the slightest hint of satire???

Wow...

~Octavious

To be honest:

WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT THAT?
I don't fucking care about your girlfriend, I don't care about your so-called life, hell, I don't even give a shit if you are serious about that or not.
"gay as aids" is NOT funny, no matter if you're serious or not, no matter if you think it's funny or not - it just IS NOT FUNNY. Dozens of people told you they're offended by that. Still you say, "damn, it's common sense that i was joking" - It obviously isn't that common, you see? Your new sig doesn't make it any better.
I don't have a problem with mean humour - people who know me know that, and I really enjoy the famous british (and often very mean) humour, but calling something "gay as aids" isn't funny in even the lowest sense - maybe among 13 year old kids who don't know better. It's not being about hypocritical - we all sometimes use the word gay in a nonsensical way - it's the whole thing "gay as aids", and the way you acted, instead of just saying, "oops, I forgot that I ain't among my 13 year old friends, sorry" just shows the way you are. Nobody came around the corner with PC and religious shit but you. It wasn't about not being PC, it was about being NOT FUCKING FUNNY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back