Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Octavious: ok, you apologized, thanks. ;) Having said that, there are a few things mentioned in the thread that I'd like to correct...

it is non existent in blood transfusions, I know of people that have AIDS ( their own bad choice ) that can't donate blood
Actually, when AIDS was first discovered in the US, there was a popular perception that only gay people got it, and because of this the US government was very reluctant to scan blood banks for AIDS, even though doctors were urging them to do it. For about 5 years or so (1981-1986), blood banks were not scanned for HIV in the US and a lot of people became sick with HIV who should not have.

Octavious posted on Feb 9 2005 at 11:04 PM said:
1. American gov. dosnt prohibit sex talks and stuff in schools, shit, we had an assembly a month when I was in school, either drugs, sex, or alchol
Er, maybe not when you when in school, but I heard that George Dubya banned any teaching about sex except abstinence... :ph34r:

(which will definitely lead to problems... it's nice and all to wish people would change and lead "more moral lives", but for thousands of years girls have been married off at 12 or 13 and expected to be "fertile"... maybe you see what I'm getting at here...)

P.S. The only time I had sex ed every month was in Grade 8. In high school they didn't really bother with it except for the scientific aspects (in biology class)... which was actually much more effective in its own way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread sucks.. and has brought out the dark side of octavious...

People should stay on topic...

Anyways on the topic

I dont think there would be any practical use for a raid made out of gp32s. And i dont see why people are so bothered by the 128 Mb limit on Smcs. Just buy a few more, they are pretty damn cheap by now.... :unsure:

*Hides behind Flame Shield* :mellow:

Every month? Wow, when I was in grade 8 there was a day of Sex Ed that I missed because of an eye doctor apointment. I already knew everything so it didn't matter.

Then last year (i think they will this year too) a lady came to my school and said that sex ruined her life with teen pregnancy and she got 2 abortions *cough* whore *cough* and then told a story of a girl who got aids from a guy wearing a condom and died at the age of like 19. That lady was dumb and had to do the same mistake twice to learn her lesson.

and then told a story of a girl who got aids from a guy wearing a condom and died at the age of like 19.
19? :huh: That's very strange, because from all that I've heard about it you don't die of it that quickly; it usually takes years or decades of slow deterioration of your body.

If you live a really trashy life and your body quickly fills up with all kinds of crap it may be possible... :ph34r:

Aaaaaah nazi octaviouses are storming the gp32 community... :eek:

Come on people, don`t you think YOU are going to far by calling oct a neo nazi ???
Do you even know what that means?

I mean, that joke wasn`t really funny, but you could really make out he is trying to joke...

And don`t tell me, you don`t laugh at the political incorrect jokes from Team America, or South Park... if you didn`t, I think you have no humour at all.

@Oct: You should have altered your sig before that post ;)

Quiest posted on Feb 11 2005 at 09:50 AM said:
I mean, that joke wasn`t really funny, but you could really make out he is trying to joke...

And don`t tell me, you don`t laugh at the political incorrect jokes from Team America, or South Park... if you didn`t, I think you have no humour at all.

Of course I could see that he actually wasn't thinking: "omg, those ipods have homosexual intercourse and they are infected with HIV". "Gay as aids" was clearly meant to be a funny and young and hip and cool term.

But it isn't. That's all I wanted to point out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pointing something out is different to calling someone a nazi, etc.

I don`t want to say you did this (i`m too lazy too look through the thread again),
but that`s just too much (well, like the "joke" was)

You gotta consider that "nazi" is used in a different sense than here in germany. If you call someone nazi here... well, don't have to tell you. But in the US, it's also used for jokes, eg. the seinfeld episode "the soup nazi" about a guy who cooks great soups, but doesn't want to share them with everyone. But, I never heard AIDS jokes in american tv shows. :D

RAID using solid state devices? Errr... why???

One of the main thrusts behind RAID is the use of multiple disk spindles to speed access to blocks on the disk. If you're using solid state devices like the Ipod shuffle or GP32 smartmedia then you don't have any seek times or latency waiting for the disk head to move to the correct sector - the bus and speed of the memory interface is always going to be the limiting factor.

As for RAID 'being useless' well, I think you're quite a way off there.

RAID is used for a blend of performance and redundancy; different RAID levels have varying amounts of each...

RAID 0 - Often called striping: Not really a true raid level as it is not redundant (the 'R' in RAID!). Data is written between two or more devices. Suppose you have 4 disks... each time you need to read or write a block of data to/from disk, the request is split into 4, with each request for 1/4 of the entire data.
This is the highest performing setup, however you can see that if any one device fails then the entire array is becomes unuseable. Read speed is up to N * drive speed, where N = number of devices in the array. Write speed can also be up to N * drive speed, but is often lower.
Capacity = N * drive capacity.

RAID 1 - Striping: Data is written precisely the same to each drive in the array.
Benefits: Data can still be written and read, even if only a single drive remains. Read speeds are often slightly increased (there is a statistically higher chance of one drive in the array already having its read head near the required sector). Write speed = Speed of a single drive.
Capacity = single drive.

RAID 3 - Striping with Parity: Requires minimum of 3 drives. Two drives are designated as a stripe set and have all the benefits of RAID0. One drive is designated as a parity drive and can be used to construct the contents of any one other drive in the stripe set if it is lost or damaged.
Benefits: Speed of RAID 0. Can survive losing one drive from the stripe set.
Drawbacks: Speed of the parity drive is a major bottleneck.
Speed = slightly lower than RAID0 due to bottleneck of constant IO to parity drive.
Capcity = (N - 1) * drive capacity

RAID 5 - Striping with rotating Parity: Requires minimum of 3 drives.
Each drive is both a stripe set and a parity disk. As the reads and writes happen to the array, a parity value is calculated and written to a drive, when the next block is written another parity value is calculated and written to the NEXT drive in the array... so each drive ends up with an equal amount of parity information... the clever bit is that from this collection of both parity info AND data on each drive, no matter which drive is lost or damaged, its contents can be restructed from the remaining members of the array.
Benefits: High read speeds - almost RAID0 levels. Can survice losing any single member of array. No single drive is a bottleneck.
Speed: Very high read speeds. Write speeds not as fast due to complicated parity checksum that needs to be computed and written.
Capacity = (N - 1) * drive capacity

RAID10 - Striping over Mirror Sets
Minimum of 4 disks. This array is constructed from two or more RAID1 sub-arrays. Data is mirrored on all disks in the RAID1 sub-volumes and then striped between the two or more mirror sets. Excellent choice for high-end use!
Benefits: very very fast IO speeds for both reading and writing.
Drawbacks: N = number of disks in eahc mirror set, Y = number of mirror sets
Can lose all but 1 disk in each of the Y mirror sets.
Capacity = Y * drive capacity

RAID0+1 - Mirrored stripe sets
Minimum of 4 disks. Similar to above, but the sub volumes are stripe sets. Again extremely high performance.
This time however the performance is paid for by the fact that if any disk is lost in a stripe set, then that entire stripe set is lost (as would a normal RAID0 be), and the array becomes in effect, a single unmirrored RAID0 array.
Drawbacks: N = number of disks in eahc stripe set, Y = number of stripe sets
Can lose all but 1 of the Y mirror sets.
Capacity = N * drive capacity

Levels 5, 10 and 0+1 and not normally found on PC's unless you have bought a very fancy hardware controller. 0 and 1 are the most common and sometimes 0+1, but are almost always performed in software on PC's.

There is also RAID50, 6, and a few others, but they are way beyond what you need to know here.

On a personal note, I've got a 4 channel IDE card in a machine at home and I run linux software RAID5 on 4 x 200Gb drives with years worth of work, documents, music etc.. stored on it. It has saved me several times in the last few years when hard drives have gone flaky or spontaneously died on me: take out bad drive, pop in new drive and restor drive from parity info... et voila!

It's not a replacement for backup, but where am i going to find a 600Gb backup device this side of 2500UKP (something like an HP Ultrium auto tape loader... at home?? LOL!)

Yes, I'm a Unix techy and admin Solaris, Linux and big Veritas disk arrays :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back