Raid 1 Setup Advice (windows)

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
Situation:
On board Motherboard RAID controller. Looking at RAID 1 (mirror)
2 x 200gig SATA drives

Currently Partitiond as :
[Disk 0]
C: Windows
D: Temp Files
E: Program Files
G: My Documents

[Disk 1]
F: Page File
H: Storage

Target Setup
[Disk 0]
C: Windows
D: Temp Files
E: Program Files
F: Page File
G: My Documents + Storage

[Disk 1]
Mirror of Disk 0

Question:
Once all the data is moved over to one drive, when I setup the controller for RAID, will it automatically partition Disk 1 for me or do I have to do that myself and set the controller to mirror on a partition per partition basis?

with on board raid setups, you don't normally have to do anything but tell it which disks are part of the raid and which type of raid you want. No partitioning is required - it'll mirror the partition from the first drive.

However, the page file should be as close to the beginning of the disk as possible for fast access.

Squidge posted on Apr 18 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
with on board raid setups, you don't normally have to do anything but tell it which disks are part of the raid and which type of raid you want. No partitioning is required - it'll mirror the partition from the first drive.

However, the page file should be as close to the beginning of the disk as possible for fast access.
Partition single or did you mean partitions plural? I would be slightly worried if it only mirrored the first partition.

Thanks for the tip on the Page File :). I may just stick it back in the C drive if that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
thelamer posted on Apr 19 2006 at 01:09 PM said:
I can understand partitioning your windows off for upgrades and reinstalls , but why all those other ones ??

Can't you just put them in subfolders ?
Mostly due to file defragmentation.

D: Temp Files is for storing all the tempory files that Windows uses / writes / reads.
E: Program Files is the default folder for installation
F: Page File is for the Windows Virtual Memory and is usually one large file

C: Windows stays pretty stable as very little is written to/modfied as the Temp files, Page File and software are in different partitions

Another question, will RAIDing te drives, will it wipe out the data in the partitions?

yaustar posted on Apr 26 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
Another question, will RAIDing te drives, will it wipe out the data in the partitions?
Probably.
Backup before you do anything just in case, I know it does with RAID 0, but normally it is pretty reckless in the RAID BIOS program - might do it in RAID 1 as well.

Cheers... *sigh* I hate reinstalling programs...

Update: Managed to Mirror the drives without any loss of data :D. Thanks guys for the help.

Back