Radio..?

Disco Devil

Still Fresh
Unless i am mistaken we don't have a standalone streaming radio player currently.

I know this one http://radiotray.sourceforge.net/ won't work, but does anyone know of anything similar (i have looked) that may work & would others want something like this..?

Thanks, but i am looking for something that actually streams the radio shows (talk radio stations, in my case) rather than just searches for/plays music tracks.. is there anything suitable..?

I play Pandora Radio on mine. I'm not sure how much of my setup would have to be duplicated for you to do it though.

I'm using Firefox 5.0, an 800Mhz overclock, Booting from SDHC and I have a 2GB swap. Even still, it eventually crashes the browser when Pandora Radio runs too many flash adds.

I haven't tried it, but there appears to be a grooveshark player in the wiki.

Hasn't worked in a while unfortunately - grooveshark keep changing their API.

Unless i am mistaken we don't have a standalone streaming radio player currently.

I know this one http://radiotray.sourceforge.net/ won't work

I cobbled together a version of radiotray if you want - it's attached to the post. Unzip it, cd into the directory and type './start' (then click on the icon in the taskbar).

EDIT: there's now a version of radiotray in the repo which should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think any mpd client can play online radio streams as long as you have a URL to feed them. On my desktop I use ncmpcpp and sometimes Sonata. I know that there is a ncmppcpp port for Pandora, but I haven't tested it yet. And if I remember it correct, Exaile had this functionality too.

I never got any audio stream to work on the Pandora. :( Gnome Player or Panplayer don't play internet streams. Is there a trick on the Pandora?

*bump*

Any joy with any of these suggestions Disco Devil? I think radiotray works nicely on the Pandora, but I notice the attachment I put up has zero downloads ... was this just a passing interest? ;)

I'm curious about this too. If I'm going to reorder in the future, playing something like Shoutcast streams would indeed be important to me. So I'm keeping my eyes on this thread.

Edit: I just assumed Shoutcast would work, can anyone confirm or deny that (I like Club 977's 80's channel)

pandora radio works in firefox b5 using flash. works but you can't really multitask with it running in the back ground.

I never got any audio stream to work on the Pandora. :( Gnome Player or Panplayer don't play internet streams. Is there a trick on the Pandora?
I'm curious about this too. If I'm going to reorder in the future, playing something like Shoutcast streams would indeed be important to me. So I'm keeping my eyes on this thread.

Edit: I just assumed Shoutcast would work, can anyone confirm or deny that (I like Club 977's 80's channel)
Audacious support shoutcast very well (even on pandora) so audio streaming does works (and I think vlc does too, but I'm unsure of that one)

I don't have a Pandora (yet; it was supposedly sent last Thursday), but you could try Pandora Radio with Adblock Plus, maybe, if the ads are causing too much trouble? I'd use AdBlock Plus anyway.

Actually, on that topic... if Pandora Radio uses Flash, and some people have gotten it to work, does that mean there's a Flash player for the Pandora? Or, at least, that it's somehow possible to view Flash content on the Pandora? If so, the wiki's FAQ should probably be updated on this. It could drive a lot of people away to hear that there isn't Flash yet when there actually is.

Audacious support shoutcast very well (even on pandora) so audio streaming does works (and I think vlc does too, but I'm unsure of that one)

Thanks, I kinda figured it would work, but I've learned to never assume anything anymore. This is one of the things I expected to do around the house with my Pandora so it's good to know there will be no problem. While I may no longer be in the queue, I still plan on getting one. Hopefully, come late Feb/early March there will finally be some available. By then I should be able to afford the higher cost, but needed the money right now (things are tight) so I had to bail out. Then again, I was really begining to feel like upgrading was the only way I'd realistically get one before then, so my wait will likely be the same. Any rate, thanks for the answer.

I don't have a Pandora (yet; it was supposedly sent last Thursday), but you could try Pandora Radio with Adblock Plus, maybe, if the ads are causing too much trouble? I'd use AdBlock Plus anyway.

Actually, on that topic... if Pandora Radio uses Flash, and some people have gotten it to work, does that mean there's a Flash player for the Pandora? Or, at least, that it's somehow possible to view Flash content on the Pandora? If so, the wiki's FAQ should probably be updated on this. It could drive a lot of people away to hear that there isn't Flash yet when there actually is.
the flash was "accidentally" added into latest firefox (6.0.0.1) according to the hdonk's post: "Dang, how is it I always forget to take it out *sigh* 8-D" firefox 6 did not show the buffer on youtube videos so ff b5 is slightly better. it is not official (flash is being used from nokia n900) and the dev doesn't seem to want to support it forever. it is very nice to do somethings that requires flash but it will sometimes crash ff and can't do complex flash animations or video. yes the wiki should be updated but since it is not a perfect or might lose support it has not been listed.

the flash was "accidentally" added into latest firefox (6.0.0.1) according to the hdonk's post: "Dang, how is it I always forget to take it out *sigh* 8-D" firefox 6 did not show the buffer on youtube videos so ff b5 is slightly better. it is not official (flash is being used from nokia n900) and the dev doesn't seem to want to support it forever. it is very nice to do somethings that requires flash but it will sometimes crash ff and can't do complex flash animations or video. yes the wiki should be updated but since it is not a perfect or might lose support it has not been listed.

OK, thanks for clarifying that. :)

Back