Pandora Quick Trick For Debugging Your Pnd Files

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
BTW ..

If you try to run a pnd, and it doesn't work or does something unxpected, or you want to capture stdout type logging.. you can!

(Also, you might want to try pnd_run /path/to/pnd from the Terminal, so tou can run without having to click on things all the time.)

The pnd system spits out a file in /tmp for your session, with some random debug, plus any stdout/stderr your pnd generates.

Look in /tmp/pndrun<uniqueid>.txt for your output.

ie: If you're missing a library or other problem, thats the place to check :)

jeff

Where is /tmp/ located? NAND? SD? Memory?
Is there any way to disable this feature? I normally run my stuff with "Blah > /dev/null" and the logs could get HUGE otherwise.

That does sounds like it could be bad if you output a lot to the console. Should probably be off by default.

JayFoxRox said:
Is there any way to disable this feature? I normally run my stuff with "Blah > /dev/null" and the logs could get HUGE otherwise.
That's the beauty. You don't have to know. In the file manager there is no differentiation between filesystems. It all appears to be one directory structure. /tmp is /tmp no matter where it's actually stored. /tmp is also flushed by the system, so no cleanup is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
mindlord said:
JayFoxRox said:
That's the beauty. You don't have to know. In the file manager there is no differentiation between filesystems. It all appears to be one directory structure. /tmp is /tmp no matter where it's actually stored. /tmp is also flushed by the system, so no cleanup is required.

It's nice, but that's not "the beauty". If it is writing to the NAND, you are essentially shortening the NAND's lifetime. And if you write to the SD, you are shortening the SD's lifetime. Both of those are bad outcomes, but the NAND is the worst, because it is not removable. I completely agree that this feature should be off by default, so as not to cause harm or waste time with writes to disk. Make it so that you can turn it on if you need to debug. Also, I would assume that the best place for this to be stored would be RAM, but If I'm wrong, then someone correct me. I just know it should not be stored on the NAND.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
We should make a Conf to swith it on or off, good idea

you can comment it out in pnd_run.sh .. /usr/pandora/scripts iirc

jeff

I think /tmp is in ram right now

jeffphone

I post waay too much with my phone while my babgrl sleeps on my shoulder :)

Back