Questions

The Last Spartan

Still Fresh
Website
gbatemp.net
Im thinking of getting a GP2X with my work experience. I want it for the emulation and multimedia(I use my DS Lite with a SC-ONE).I'm The Last Spartan at gbatemp as well. What emulators are out there, I've heard of PSONE emulation happening. Where is a cheap place to get SD cards. And a cheap place to get a GP2X value pack is this any good Play-Asia. It says firmware 2.1.1 , is the firmware easy to update. What model is the one at Play-Asia as well.

Thanks for the help in advance (First Post)

The Last Spartan said:
Im thinking of getting a GP2X with my work experience. I want it for the emulation and multimedia(I use my DS Lite with a SC-ONE).I'm The Last Spartan at gbatemp as well. What emulators are out there, I've heard of PSONE emulation happening. Where is a cheap place to get SD cards. And a cheap place to get a GP2X value pack is this any good Play-Asia. It says firmware 2.1.1 , is the firmware easy to update. What model is the one at Play-Asia as well.

Thanks for the help in advance (First Post)

I would not get it for PSX emulation, it will never be full speed.

For everything else though it is great. It beats the DS for emulation not only because of the faster CPU(s) but unlike the DS it actually has enough resolution to run 99% of emus full screen with no cropping/scaling down.

Leave it at FW 2.1.1, it is best. 3.0 is slow to boot and offers no real advantage anyway.

Don't bother with any SD cards lower than 4 Gig, you will fill it fast especially with Sega CD, NeoGeo, CPS2 being so big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advice on an SD card:
1. Get a good brand, e.g. Transcend, SanDisk
2. Don't buy an SDHC/SD2.0 card. GP2X doesn't officially support them yet.
3. I would always go for brand over speed. I had enormous trouble with a 133x el cheapo card that worked fine for a few weeks and then the surface would corrupt all data written to it. Low level wiping did nothing to fix it. Another thing about cheap cards is that their write speed isn't necessarily fast no matter how high they report their read speed to be.
4. Look out for fake cards. Some dodgy companies illegally rebadge and package their cards to look like a different brand. Many deals online that look too good to be true possibly are. Transcend has a web form which verifies authenticity of your card via serial numbers. This helps a little to ease your mind after you receive your new card.
5. If you are in the US, Amazon and newegg seem good places to buy memory cards.

ZeroPain said:
Just by the card from radio shack...
Um ... yeah, if you don't mind overpaying by nearly double what online retailers sell the same cards for <_<

imhotep said:
3. I would always go for brand over speed. I had enormous trouble with a 133x el cheapo card that worked fine for a few weeks and then the surface would corrupt all data written to it. Low level wiping did nothing to fix it. Another thing about cheap cards is that their write speed isn't necessarily fast no matter how high they report their read speed to be.
You don't mean the MyMemory one? Because I'm about to get one.

Thanks guys for the help. I have to save up some money from my new job for the GP2X. One more question, what model is the GP2X from Play0Asia(link in my first post).

The Last Spartan said:
Thanks guys for the help. I have to save up some money from my new job for the GP2X. One more question, what model is the GP2X from Play0Asia(link in my first post).
Uh, domain.com? They sell only MK2 units, Value Pack is that one. You can't buy first edition units anymore.

Um ... yeah, if you don't mind overpaying by nearly double what online retailers sell the same cards for dry.gif

Thats assuming your buying from a retailer who wont repackage another brand that they bought wholesale.

I would prefer to get the card day-of-sale rather then waiting in return for a slightly lesser price.

Back