Pandora Questions About 3d Engine Being Ported To Pandora

davidgutierrez

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I remember some people said that he / she was going to port a 3D Engine to OpenGL ES 2.0 (people talked about Irrlicht and Horde3D). I'd like to know about the state of those project (or another 3D Engines that ARE BEING PORTED AT THIS MOMENT). I have an idea for a project and I will need a 3D Engine that can use two screens with different images at the same time: the TV out would be used to display the game and Pandora screen would be used for the mini-map, take notes...

Do you know any engine that can do that (on PC) and would be easy to port to Pandora (or are being ported at this moment)?

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
I have an idea for a project and I will need a 3D Engine that can use two screens with different images at the same time: the TV out would be used to display the game and Pandora screen would be used for the mini-map, take notes...
:ph34r: Whoah... that would be amazing. Good luck!

(Sorry I couldn't offer anything helpful, but I really like your idea)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prophet said:
I have an idea for a project and I will need a 3D Engine that can use two screens with different images at the same time: the TV out would be used to display the game and Pandora screen would be used for the mini-map, take notes...
:ph34r: Whoah... that would be amazing. Good luck!
(Sorry I couldn't offer anything helpful, but I really like your idea)
Yeah, ditto. Hope you pull it off - sounds cool. Sounds like a lot of processing power too... Good apps with this type of feature could also be a nice showcase for Pandora.

hey

Hah, I say this has nothing todo with a 3d engine, I mean it would be easy to render to two different screens if the hardware supports it. But yea, I think you would just need a way to switch between outputing to the pandora screen and tvout. Hmm, you would need to ask the dev's if this would be possible, as I have no idea about the hardware specs for such things.

Logic tells me that when something is plugged into the tvout port then output would automatically be redirected to it, and that you wouldn't beable to control this as to direct output back to the pandora screen, but I dunno.

Anyhows I hope this helps.

cya

yosh64 said:
Hah, I say this has nothing todo with a 3d engine, I mean it would be easy to render to two different screens if the hardware supports it.
This is related to 3d engines because I want to show 3D images in the two screens (or at least, in TV screen).

yosh64 said:
Logic tells me that when something is plugged into the tvout port then output would automatically be redirected to it, and that you wouldn't beable to control this as to direct output back to the pandora screen, but I dunno.
I remember somebody told (several months ago) that Pandora screen and TV-out would be able to show different images at the same time. If I'm right, Pandora could be use as a Nintendo DS with a really BIG (TV-size) non-touch screen.

They did that with Crystal Chronicles for GC. You had to use the GBA with a cable. It was pretty cool, I think you also used the GBA for the controls if I remember correctly. So I say GREAT IDEA, especially now that it can be wireless.

depends how the TV-Out is setup more than the 3D aspect.
3D you can easily set multiple viewports. I don't know off hand, how you would exlusify each viewport to a screen, but it is possible.

If the Tv-out is just pushing a copy of video to the TV then you're SOOL... If it is setup more like many 3D cards for your PC, with ability to control what goes onto each screen, then you have more chance of progressing with this.

As for the state of various 3D engines... My OpenGLES 2.0 engine is not very far along at all since I'm still trying to finish off the traditional OpenGL target, so I would advise you to go for something else and not Penjin3D.

therealadmin said:
They did that with Crystal Chronicles for GC. You had to use the GBA with a cable. It was pretty cool, I think you also used the GBA for the controls if I remember correctly. So I say GREAT IDEA, especially now that it can be wireless.
Great Idea? CC for the GCN was a terrible idea. You try getting 4 people with 4 cords together with 4 gba's. It was a nightmare!

But with a pandora, it would be pretty cool, as its wireless, and its already the system, so if you had multiplayer for example, it would be 10x easier to play.

CC was indeed a nightmare, I remember joining people with a single GBA and then plugging in a standard GC controller.

Yes, the Irrlicht port is still developing. Rendering works so far, but the material system is still not finished, i.e. there's only non-lit solid material available ATM.
Some discussion of the OP has also migrated to the Irrlicht forums
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28943
I'll definitely post any substantial progress in this forum, though, so don't fear to miss the release ;)

hybrid_irr said:
Yes, the Irrlicht port is still developing. Rendering works so far, but the material system is still not finished, i.e. there's only non-lit solid material available ATM.
Some discussion of the OP has also migrated to the Irrlicht forums
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28943
I'll definitely post any substantial progress in this forum, though, so don't fear to miss the release ;)

Thanks for the work on this, and the update too - both are much appreciated :)

On the topic of porting 3D engines, is someone working or pretending to work shortly on a GL ES 2.0 renderer for OGRE? If not I'd be pretty happy to give it a try :)

Tinnus said:
On the topic of porting 3D engines, is someone working or pretending to work shortly on a GL ES 2.0 renderer for OGRE? If not I'd be pretty happy to give it a try :)
I love Ogre but I think it is a bit too heavy for this sort of device....

warmi said:
Tinnus said:

Why would it be heavier than Irrlicht for example? OGRE is very well-structured and the Pandora is extremely powerful.

It just "looks" more heavy because people tend to make stuff with it that uses more shaders and more complex art/geometry, and also professional folks use it for big PC games. But you could use it for any degree of visual complexity just like anything else, and just like you could create a full-featured game using pure OpenGL.

Tinnus said:
warmi said:
Tinnus said:

Why would it be heavier than Irrlicht for example? OGRE is very well-structured and the Pandora is extremely powerful.

It just "looks" more heavy because people tend to make stuff with it that uses more shaders and more complex art/geometry, and also professional folks use it for big PC games. But you could use it for any degree of visual complexity just like anything else, and just like you could create a full-featured game using pure OpenGL.

It is not about shaders or art ... it is about memory and Ogre implementing a lot of stuff ( even within a basic Node class) that could be optimized for size.

I am not familiar with Irrlicht I was thinking more in terms of creating much leaner custom 3d egnine.

Again, the Pandora has 128MB of RAM. I agree maybe it could have some trouble to run on a Phat PSP for example with just ~20MB free, but not here.

Tinnus said:
Again, the Pandora has 128MB of RAM. I agree maybe it could have some trouble to run on a Phat PSP for example with just ~20MB free, but not here.
Well, anyway that's just my opinion ... nothing prevents you from cloning RenderSystems\GL\src and doing GL ES implementation :)

hybrid_irr said:
Yes, the Irrlicht port is still developing...
Hi Hybrid, I was wormsxp in Irrlicht forums (I suppose I should start to use the same nickname in every forum I visit). I've downloaded Irrlicht and have changed some examples so I can use a Wiimote with them... oh, man! it was fantastic! At this moment, I've only seen the examples but Irrlicht looks easy and very powerful. I'll be looking forward to the Pandora port.

Tinnus, Ogre3D looks more complicated (to port) than Irrlicht and I'm not very sure about its hardware requirements, but if you think you can do that port, you should do it. I talked some time ago with one of their developers and said that he would port Ogre3D to OpenGL ES 2.0 when he has a portable device with OpenGL ES 2.0 support... but he thought there were more important things to be done before doing that port. So, if you can do it, you should do it instead waiting the "official developers".

If we had several 3D engines (Irrlicht, Ogre3D, Horde3D and others?), each programmer would be able to choose the engine he want. Everybody will win.

If we had several 3D engines (Irrlicht, Ogre3D, Horde3D and others?), each programmer would be able to choose the engine he want. Everybody will win.
IF someone uses these Engines for more than some nice tech-Demos. ;) Even on PC I miss the really BIG Hammer Games based on Open Source 3D Engines. For example Sauerbraten is a nice Engine, a great Editor but more than a Multi-Player-Shooter (WITHOUT Bots!) or a Alpha-try of some kind of RPG never happend yet. :(

Several really good games were developed with OGRE. Lots of them commercial, although that doesn't help us more than asking the developers for a port :p

Back