Quake port

steerpike

Still Fresh
some one has already started a quake port but gave up
(have a look at http://w1.243.telia.com/~u24315537/ )

anyone think that quake could run at a good speed on a GP?

anyone working on it ?

quake mods... need i say any more :) ?

cheers
.steerpike.
"his royal slyness, arch fluke .... "

This port is well known, the only problem with improving it is that quake used a system called floating point binary to do calculations involving fractions, these calculations give very accurate results, but are hard work for the CPU, so most modern CPUs have something called a floating point unit designed just for this purpose, the GP32 however doesn't, so all floating point calculations which quake uses a lot of are really slow. To speed things up quake would have to be rewritten to use something called fixed point binary, which is less accurate, and a very time consuming job, I assume the same is true for ports of games like Duke Nukem 3d.

;) but but but this has come up before it was based on an early version of pocket quake...... pocket quake's latest version uses nothing but fixed point calculations and has tons of enhancements for ARM processors as it is made pocket pc's if pocket quake was ported again i think it would run alot nicer especially looking at the patch history for pocket quake

Hi has anyone actually downloaded the game its shite it wont load does anyone else have this problem cheers :angry:

Hopefully someone will pick this project up again soon, the only thing is - a port of a port? Could be a bit flimsy.

Hi has anyone actually downloaded the game its shite it wont load does anyone else have this problem cheers

It only runs on a 32MB card, and most of us have 128 meg ones.

Toris: I'm pretty sure it was done before fixed point conversion since it says on the guy's site that it needs it before it'll go any faster. And optimisations muchly.

punky_munky posted on May 31 2003 said:
Hopefully someone will pick this project up again soon, the only thing is - a port of a port? Could be a bit flimsy.
CaSTaway/GP was a port of a port of a port, so that blows holes in your argument as it's currently the best emulator on the GP32! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It was? I thought it was based on a pocket version of CaSTaway, i.e. a port of a port. Nevertheless ports don't affect stability at all. In fact it saves us some time.

From what I know, the PocketQuake source has improved a lot on the fixed point code front since the original GP32 port.

Back