Quake 1/2/3 Sdk

jlebrech

UFO Robot
I thnk that one of the first games to be ported must definately be one of the Quakes.

Ideally just the engine with a custom wad/pak with source, just something simple that can be used for future mods on the pandora.

I even think that the Pandora could be able to run Quake3 using the original pak of the game, but a minimal with a low polys pak to test the engine would be cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Pandora team are working on getting Quake 3 running in order to demonstrate the hardware capabilities.

JakeK said:
Why does everyone like Quake so much? I played it for like one minute and disliked every second.
It's not everyone's cup of tea, I'll grant you that, and I can see how controlling it with the analogues may be awkward. But I can understand the reasons why it should be a priority to port, though, as it is a "well known quantity" and as such a good "benchmark" of the machine's capabilities. Along with ports of well-known but sub-fullspeed GP2X emulators (PocketSNES, psx4gp2x, MAME4All, UAE4All...) that can be demonstrated to run at full speed on the Pandora, it should be more than enough to prove to most gamers how powerful the machine really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who wants an FPS without a keyboard and a mouse anyway? :D

Q3 however could be a great demonstrator. But one would have to convert it to OpenGL ES 2.0 which probably is not that easy.

I don't know about you, but I've got plenty of USB mice sitting around that might want to be plugged into the Pandora, that'd make Quake playing nicer.
Granted, I might not want to carry a spare mouse around unless I can put it in a backpack with my Pandora, rather than in my pocket, but it could still come in handy.

Hum I am trying to imagine the setup:

- Pandora unit
- USB hub (the Pandora only has a single USB right?)
- keyboard into the hub
- mouse into the hub

Ouch the screen is too small because the keyboard puts me too far away from it. Let's refine the setup

- Pandora unit
- keyboard into the hub
- mouse into the hub
- video cable to the TV

:p

The Quake series rock because of the fine-tuned controls, weapons feel, immersion without gimmicks (sound really gets you into the game) and overall coding goodness. :) And the ID guys have always excelled in supporting the Linux platform. You could do worse than use Quake 3 as a benchmark.

Full-speed Amiga and N64 emus could also be nice :)

personally, i want to see quake 1 with one of the upgraded engines and high rez texture packs...
and i like playing fps's with dual analogs as much as mouse and keyboard.

Laurent said:
- Pandora unit
- keyboard into the hub
- mouse into the hub
- video cable to the TV

Well, I was going to just use a mouse and the d-pad, but your method works too :p Kinda.

We shouldnt need hi res for a 4.3 inch screen or a normal TV set.

According to one of those sites they are all ready compressed jpgs at 60-70%. Someone could probably do a batch scaleing on the high res pack to make it a more appropriate size if they want to though.

I think the pandora will be perfect for FPS. We will have the number row on top to quickly switch weapons. 1 nub for movement, 1 for aiming etc.

JakeK said:
Why does everyone like Quake so much? I played it for like one minute and disliked every second.
I never was a big Quake-Fanboy but Q1 was very good for it's time and I liked Q2 to, good Single Player action. Q3 is interesting for the Pandora, because it has BOTS, I really miss "faked" Multi-Player Action onto the Gp2X.
Well Of course I prefer the UNREAL Series, especially the Unreal Bots are the best ever coded but because U(T) is not completely Open Sauce it's very unlikely to see it onto the Pandora. (But we can dream about it, right? ;) )

Laurent said:
Who wants an FPS without a keyboard and a mouse anyway? :D

Q3 however could be a great demonstrator. But one would have to convert it to OpenGL ES 2.0 which probably is not that easy.
Not as hard as you'd think.

Everyone keeps thinking that it's a difficult thing, moving from OpenGL to ES 1.x and 2.0. There's some work involved, yes. But it isn't the rough thing people keep thinking it is../

In the case of 2.0 for Quake 3, you'll need to come up with tie-ins for the shaders you come up with for fixed functionality pathway calls (since there IS none of that available), rework anything that makes the fixed functionality calls so that they're setting up the shader setup right, and then recompile. ES largely reflects common use in game titles to begin with. ;)

Jarska333 said:
Doesn't this "Pandora"-thing have a touchscreen? Would that not be a decent substitute for a... some sort of rodent?
After having used this mode with the N800 and original DooM, I can say it's doable, but it's different than one would think. I would rather use an analog nub and buttons on the back like the R1/L1 buttons on a GBA/SP. One for movement, and one for look since they're independent behaviors.

Laurent said:
I am not sure high res texture packs will fit in Pandora memory. Look at the file sizes:

http://facelift.quakedev.com/retexture/
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimw/q2/

Well of course not everything is loaded at once, but that looks frightening...

Heh... It all kind of depends on how much of the OS sits resident in the 128Mb and if we're going to do something resembling a swap on one of the SD's for the Pandora like the Nokia does with the "internal" MMC/SD. It might end up being tight with app and textures (depends on Quake's runtime size. Textures are loaded once into host texture memory and then reused time and time again... If Quake's too big, we might need swap space to cope with the game...)- but then again, it might not. I'd be a bit leery of trying something more nuts like making a wireless version of WoP happen- because it would be even heavier than that. ;)

Laurent said:
Hum I am trying to imagine the setup:

- Pandora unit
- keyboard into the hub
- mouse into the hub

Ouch the screen is too small because the keyboard puts me too far away from it. Let's refine the setup

- Pandora unit
- keyboard into the hub
- mouse into the hub
- video cable to the TV

Maybe we can get the Wii Remote & Nunchuck to work on the Pandora for FPS.

There's no reason why classic FPS controls can't be used on the Pandora! WASD + right analogue stick as mouse (operated with fingertips instead of thumb). Or just use the keyboard in conjunction with a compact USB mouse.

Gruso said:
There's no reason why classic FPS controls can't be used on the Pandora! WASD + right analogue stick as mouse (operated with fingertips instead of thumb). Or just use the keyboard in conjunction with a compact USB mouse.
Why use WASD keys when there's a dpad just to the left of those?

Using a USB mouse with the Pandora is not at all feasible for a majority of the places where people would want to use a handheld.

I'm thinking the Pandora will have better 3D capabilities than my work PC, so there's one place I can plugin a mouse and play FPS games :)

As for the dpad next to wasd, yes, when you are holding the device in the air, the dpad would be the most useful. However, if the device is on a desk, I say the keyboard would be more useful as you could lie your fingers on the appropriate keys.

Exophase said:
Why use WASD keys when there's a dpad just to the left of those?

Using a USB mouse with the Pandora is not at all feasible for a majority of the places where people would want to use a handheld.
Strictly for fanboy purist appeal. They're out there.

Back