Pyra hanging to black screen

spy-d

Still Fresh
Just got my Pyra ... pretty cool device. One issue I am having is that after a while, the screen goes black and the Pyra is unresponsive. although my ssh session is still ok.

In syslog, when the screen goes black, the following shows:

Code:
Jun 24 00:49:37 localhost kernel: [ 2963.216762] dmtimer posted=0
Jun 24 00:49:43 localhost kernel: [ 2969.201351] DSI: omapdss DSI error: VC(0) busy when trying to configure it!
Jun 24 00:49:43 localhost kernel: [ 2969.209272] DSI: omapdss DSI error: VC(1) busy when trying to configure it!
Jun 24 00:49:43 localhost kernel: [ 2969.217347] DSI: omapdss DSI error: VC(2) busy when trying to configure it!
Jun 24 00:49:43 localhost kernel: [ 2969.225612] DSI: omapdss DSI error: VC(3) busy when trying to configure it!
Jun 24 00:49:43 localhost kernel: [ 2969.423458] dmtimer posted=0

Restarting lightdm brings things back on the Pyra. Anyone run into this ?

TIA.

I have had it happen once. I didn't think too much of it at the time. I have seen those errors in the log. I will try to pay attention in the future to see how much locks up.

Lightdm is a greeter I thought. So retarting it might take you to a login screen, or might remember your previous login and fire you straight through that. Interesting way to bring back a session, I don't think that would have occurred to me.

I wonder if this behaviour could be related to a screensaver.

Lightdm is a greeter I thought.
The DM in LightDM stands for Display Manager. It does use a plugin greeter infrastructure to have a login screen matching to your DE, though. It's called Light because it has 1/10th of the lines of code of GDM while offering pretty much the same features.

I was thinking screen saver as well. So I tried disabling the screen saver from the GUI. Didn't help. I tried uninstalling mate-screensaver. Made it worse. After about 10 minutes it would freeze. I have since reinstalled mate-screensaver.

If I use the Pyra ... it doesn't crash. I think it crashes after about 15-30 minutes. Also the load is always above 2. Going to try turning off suspend/hibernate.

I reported that the Pyra was not responsive. The power button does work. Pressing it causes the Pyra to shutdown. All other buttons, as far as I can tell, are not responsive.

Thanks.

Ok setting (in /etc/systemd/sleep.conf)

AllowSuspend=no
AllowHibernation=no
AllowSuspendThenHibernate=no
AllowHybridSleep=no

and restarting, didn't help.

Reactions: rSl
I take it your ssh session remains active while the screen is dark? If so, it's worth running a ps -e might show you whether the session has actually crashed or not. There's probably more debugging to do but that's where I'd start.

Reactions: rSl
Darn. Same here, only without ssh session open...
Got the Pyra, set it up, did an
Code:
apt update && apt upgrade
and installed audacious and libreoffice. Nothing started but one shell.
well. no ssh session, so kill-switch.

Last edited:
What does this mean? Does it mean X didn't start and you're dumped back to a text mode shell? If so, what happens if you issue startx?
Oh, sorry for being unclear.
I started into the Mate desktop and then opened only one terminal, closed the lit and after lunch it was dead.
Since I only connected my pyra to the guest WLAN, I had no network access (My private network is cable only atm.)

Hm, probably related to the accelerated X graphics driver we're using. It probably has a few bugs which might trigger sometimes.
It would be possible using a different one for testing, but it would be a lot slower desktop.

Back