Pxml Specification

milkshake

Advanced Member
This is a thread thats also available here

As part of my work on my pnd/repo website I have been looknig at the PXML spec and I was wondering if there could/should be any alterations, and was wondering if we could have a descussion about it.

here are a couple which have cropped up during development of my site which could be usefull, although if anyone has any other suggestions maybe they should add them here too.

It would be benificial to have an extra entry in the version element of the xml like so.

Code:
<version major='number' minor='number' release=number build='number' flags='beta,alpha,final' />

so we can seperate final builds from alpha's and beta's.

Others have mentioned about maybe an aditional dilemiter to the version number i.e.
major.minor.release.build.pndver

pnd version for use where software is ported the software version might remain the same but you might fix a bug in the port so the pndver would then incrament instead.

finally it might be beneficial to include an optional element for a software licence? i.e. BSD, GNU GPL etc and source code uri?

anyway what do people think, could anyone from OPT comment/discuss?

I use release for what you're suggesting 'pndver' for. ie: Hatari 1.4.0 I made a pnd 'a' and now an update pnd 'b', so its hatari140a.pnd and hatari140b.pnd. But I managed to forget to update the PXML since I'm an idiot on my own technology apparently ;)

But In that case the major and minor would not update, but the release and build would. (If I'd done several internal builds or private betas, then the build would increase separately to release.)

So I don't see a point in 'pndver'.

If you want a formal titling ... I don't see a problem with it. I thikn it best to be hard defined -- an enum of 3 or 4 values like you suggest.

jeff

Im not personally too fussed about the pndver its just what Klaue mentioned on the op boards.

However in regards to alpha and beta or final flag this would be usefull as relaying on someone to name the pnd correctly is not the best idea but if its in the spec I could certainly use that information.

Perhaps should do it like this then ..

release-tag: optional, and if specified, must be one of alpha, beta, release (assumed release if missing)
release-scope: optional, and if specified must be private or public (assumed public if missing)

This way a job could be labelled as private beta, or public alpha, or public or private release, etc.

If no one objects after a day or two, feel free to make an edit to the PXML spec page on the wiki to note the description, add to examples, and update any relevent XSDs.

jeff

sounds good to me but how would I edit the spec page? can anyone do that?

oh and what about the licence tag? would that be a good idea? as an optional element?

Code:
//optional if no licence needed
<licence type="BSD">
//optional if licence doesnt require sourcecode
<source>sourcecodeURIhere.com</source>
</licence>

milkshake said:
sounds good to me but how would I edit the spec page? can anyone do that?

oh and what about the licence tag? would that be a good idea? as an optional element?

Code:
 //optional if no licence needed
 <licence type="BSD">
 //optional if licence doesnt require sourcecode
 <source>sourcecodeURIhere.com</source>
 </licence>
these would be a nice addition imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to add that, I'd reverse it..

<source uri="http:/some page" license="BSD"/>, or perhaps nested.

<sources>
<source uri="foo" license="bar"/>
</sources>

ie: the license is intrinsicly related to the source, so I'd say group them, but whatever.

Anyone should be able to change that page, but I will do it if you like. I'll also have to apply some changes to libpnd, but existing stuff should just ignore the new values (which is good.)

jeff

if you could do that I would be great full.

well what ever makes most sense as long as people release that the source element relates to the pnd's licence(if it has one) uri is for link to page which contains source code and licence = licence type.

I know these changes wont just benefit a repo like mine but u can use things like the release to tell people when they start an app that they are about to run a application that is currently in alpha/beta state/build ...maybe lol

did you update the PXML spec yet? I understand you are very busy with mini menu so doesn't matter if you haven't done it yet.

Back