PSX STAR WARS The Phantom Menace

irishal

Still Fresh
Firstly apologies if this should be in the support forum.

The phantom menace was my favourite game on the PS1, but i can't seem to get it to work on the PSCX Rearmed.

I have installed the proper bios. Overclocked to 800. Tried the different GPU and SPU options. And converted the game into .img and eboot format.

The loading screens and the intro work fine, but when the game starts I can hear the speech but the screen is just covered in green "fractals", sometimes you can see the characters behind the fractals. It seems similar to PC games i've seen when your GPU isn't good enough, which makes me think I need to overclock more, although I am vary wary about changing voltages.

Has any tried this game and got it to work?

Firstly apologies if this should be in the support forum.

The phantom menace was my favourite game on the PS1, but i can't seem to get it to work on the PSCX Rearmed.

I have installed the proper bios. Overclocked to 800. Tried the different GPU and SPU options. And converted the game into .img and eboot format.

The loading screens and the intro work fine, but when the game starts I can hear the speech but the screen is just covered in green "fractals", sometimes you can see the characters behind the fractals. It seems similar to PC games i've seen when your GPU isn't good enough, which makes me think I need to overclock more, although I am vary wary about changing voltages.

Has any tried this game and got it to work?

It likely has nothing to do with your CPU settings. It probably is just a buggy game with the currently release of the emulator. Best you can do is wait for a new version and hope for the best, I'm afraid. :)

A good move is to try re-ripping your disc to bin/cue, and see if the issue persists there, if you didn't rip it to that format in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
blah... blah blah.... more blah... yada yada yada....

I don't have a pandora so I don't know. But!... You say you converted to IMG and EBOOT. If you did convert from a previously ripped image (like an ISO), as opposed to actually creating an image from the original CD, then it may have been missing some sub-channel data. Perhaps some of that sub-channel data is needed to run the game properly (there are games that require it to run on emulators). If you have the original (of course you have) then try searching for some instructions on how to rip the game with the all required data. If for some reason you are unable to do this (eg. damn it, your CD/DVD drive just blew up) then download a better copy from some nefarious source. Of course doing so will cause your soul to blacken and wither, but maybe the game will actually work.

I'd be interested to know if this is any use to you, so let me know if it helps any.

I just gave it a go - fresh rip of the PAL CD in BIN/CUE format. It loads, and gets as far as loading the first level, but the graphics are just green blocks - looks a lot like Adventure on the Atari VCS! I tried the various GPU settings but they only made it worse (locked up the Pandora and now my nubs aren't responding?!? Restored defaults and they're back, phew!).

I just gave it a go - fresh rip of the PAL CD in BIN/CUE format. It loads, and gets as far as loading the first level, but the graphics are just green blocks - looks a lot like Adventure on the Atari VCS! I tried the various GPU settings but they only made it worse (locked up the Pandora and now my nubs aren't responding?!? Restored defaults and they're back, phew!).

(In the voice of Alec Guinness) Look, use the sub-chanel data look...

(In the voice of Alec Guinness) Look, use the sub-chanel data look...

Use the Subcode channel did I, work it did not!

As the OP noted, the game can 'sort of' be seen running behind a wall of green, seems more like a graphics issue? I blame George Lucas myself.

I blame George Lucas myself.
Hasn't he got enough to be blamed for with making The Phantom Menace film, let alone the game?
George Lickass was only giving the public what they asked for. Never give the public what they ask for - the majority of them are idiots. That's the biggest problem with democracy. Install me as a benign dictator and the world would be a better place.

^ But he wasn't giving the public what they asked for at all. :p

What happened is that he seemingly lost sight of why people liked Star Wars in the first place. The prequels, with the possible exception of the third one which is pretty good, were made with what struck me as a focus on technology. People liked the original trilogy because they were enjoyable films in what was then a sea of blandness that nobody wanted - the special effects never came into it. They added to it, yes, but if the film was the same without them, it still would have done just as well.

Ahem, pardon me. I find the business (read: making customers) side of entertainment to be interesting. :p

^ But he wasn't giving the public what they asked for at all. :p

What happened is that he seemingly lost sight of why people liked Star Wars in the first place. The prequels, with the possible exception of the third one which is pretty good, were made with what struck me as a focus on technology. People liked the original trilogy because they were enjoyable films in what was then a sea of blandness that nobody wanted - the special effects never came into it. They added to it, yes, but if the film was the same without them, it still would have done just as well.

Ahem, pardon me. I find the business (read: making customers) side of entertainment to be interesting. :p

The first Star Wars film was OK, the second was sub-par and "Return of the Jobbi" was just crap. The public shouted "MORE... we haven't had enough of this ever worsening piffle.... More crap please....". Lucas continued the trend he'd set admirably, just as the the public had been begging for. There's no point pretending it wasn't what the public had asked for, they just wanted more - despite the fact it was always bound to be a disappointment. That's what I mean, the public are stupid, they never realised more was always going to be a let down.

Thanks for the help, will wait for the next version of the emulator, and see if that fixes the problem

Back