Psu Leaks Little Bit Of Ac To Gnd Pin, Normal?

hobbyman II said:
@MWeston ... it's a power supply, afaik optical isolation would be no use since you could only transfere miniscule amounts of power, it will be a switch mode device with isolation or just a isolating transformer and rectifier
Even switching mode power supplies include a transformer, just like ordinary linear power supplies. The transformer in switching mode power supplies can be much smaller though, due to the much higher operating frequencies used. It still should properly isolate AC input from the low voltage part of the power supply.

hobbyman II said:
@silver .... yeah!, it's a non issue, a case of a little knowledge misunderstanding things,
It is not only about possible danger it might cause. Also, I already pointed that out, that it is not dangerous for human. It could be an issue for audio circuitry (and possibly other circuits with high impendance inputs), though. And it obviously causes hum in the audio path, so I would not call it a non-issue.

if you used a old style coil meter that voltage probably wouldn't show since the meter would have sunk it, digital meters often place next too no load on circuits (apart from probe lead resitance,capacitance etc), it would probably not have been measureable on a cheaper (coil) meter.
Volt meters are meant to put no load on the circuit. No real volt meter can accomplish that, but digital ones at least come close to it.

to summarise, nothing to see here, move along :rolleyes: (see main post heading....operative words...."a little bit")
This is simply not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
hobbyman II said:
@ hysterical masses .... the energy in the float voltage is puny, it's no real* risk even if you use it in the bath (which you shouldn't do with any electrical device btw), if you have lights or a lamp with a touch dimmer, or touch switch, you will find that all that is between you and mains voltage is two resistors, see diagram (not mine) touch switch, theoreticaly, the voltage on the touch plate can rise to mains voltage, but the capacitance of the plate/wiring is so miniscule it's no problem, hell, if you take off a nylon shirt you can hear thousands of volts discharging, but it's no problem, people don't get incinerated every time they take off a shirt, voltage isn't the real danger, amperage is, and there's no amperage.
I'm not worried about MY health, I'm worried about the Pandora-health. ;)
So if there are voltage, where no voltage should be is bad, because it sounds like it could damage our Handheld. This is the point where I want a clear answer if the Power Adaptor can damage the Pandora (over time): YES or NO?

fusion_power said:
I'm not worried about MY health, I'm worried about the Pandora-health. ;)
So if there are voltage, where no voltage should be is bad, because it sounds like it could damage our Handheld. This is the point where I want a clear answer if the Power Adaptor can damage the Pandora (over time): YES or NO?
Pandora (in itself) can only sense difference between GND (=common) pin and the +5V pin which stays fine according to all my tests; IMHO NO. :p

wejp said:
It could be an issue for audio circuitry (and possibly other circuits with high impendance inputs), though. And it obviously causes hum in the audio path, so I would not call it a non-issue.

Possibly irrelevant, but this made me wonder, has anyone tested the Line-out on the AV port?

Is this only relevant on 2 pin outlets? I tested my Pandora connected to the supplied AC and couldn't detect any current on ground USB or 3.5 Jack port, I live in the UK with fused/earthed UK cable maybe that makes a difference but pretty sure there is no leak with my AC,

My AC says PowerPax UK 5v 2a Just in case there is some variation in supplied ACs

^ I think the three prong version is relatively rare. Most people so far got a two prong one, at least the people posting here frequently.

Back