Psp Vs Gp2x

DTH posted on Oct 10 2006 at 07:59 PM said:
Movie player has a few problems but most of them are solved in an update, you can download it from the archive.

I downloaded that movieplayer update and for me it INTRODUCED problems. Everything I played in it played totally out of sync, whereas in the standard player it plays fine.

Strange, but I though updates were supposed to fix problems, not create them.

Last edited by a moderator:
great comments guys. i will probably get one but one last question...

I want to play MAME, C64 and Sega (and maybe Amiga) games on it -
do all the emulators for these support most games or just a few?

spyhunter posted on Oct 11 2006 at 08:59 AM said:

To my understanding, C64 emulation supports nearly all games. Amiga emulation is still fairly slow, but playable. Sega is kind of broad but I assume you mean Master System, Game Gear and MegaDrive/Genesis, in which case the vast majority of games work, and at or near full speed at default GP2X speed, and full speed with slight overclocking (only needed on MD/Genesis games). MAME for the GP2X still only supports rather old games, mostly from the 80s-- there is no support for newer games, mostly from the 90s, e.g. it's sorely lacking the newer high-end shooters like the Cave and Strikers 1945 series, but if you're interested in the classics, you should be happy with MAME and its performance.

Epicenter posted on Oct 11 2006 at 03:14 PM said:
MAME for the GP2X still only supports rather old games, mostly from the 80s-- there is no support for newer games

It's not quite as bad as that. Yes, late-90's stuff is sparse, but it does support titles like 1941, Sonic Wings 3, Warrirors of Fate, Captain Commando, Blazing Star, Mega Man Power Battles, King of Fighters '97, Magical Drop 3, etc. Most of those are Neo Geo, and play a little better on GNGEO.

Franxis has made some wonderful progress on MAMEGP2X recently (v3.0), so the future looks rosy.

spyhunter posted on Oct 11 2006 at 09:59 AM said:

MAME 3.0 is incredible. C64 and Sega Master System, Genesis / Megadrive and game gear are perfect or near perfect. Here are some gp2x videos of them running:

C64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAyVL7H60EM

Mame v2.3 (3.0 is much better)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEGhUiGakBI

Sega Megadrive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVT4m0M6Eg

Sega Master System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31cahxnvxco

great those vids are gr8 and answer a lot of questions for me - i really want to play the mame, c64, amiga, atari vcs and sega md stuff and I believe the new units (overclocked to 275Mhz) will be able to handle this.

My next question is about the joystick - are arcade games nice and easy to control with the joystick rather than d-pad??? can a dpad or the joystick be changed on the gp2x??? give me your thoughts guys - you have been a gr8 help thus far!

ooh and how is the tv out really work? is it any good? i mean is it simply a case of plugging in and its on the big screen.

one last thing (again! hehe), the menu - can the exe files be linked direct from the main menu? so you run MAME or C64 from it? or can you create folders from the main menu? (eg: GAMES >> EMULATORS >> C64, MAME, etc..)

You can change the joystick cap to whatever you like -- I stuck an Xbox cap on mine, and I absolutely love the stick now. It's a heck of a lot better than the PSP's D-pad.

There are also a couple of D-pad modifications around if that's your preference.

TV out is great when it works, but not all applications support it. I haven't used it much yet, so someone else should be able to fill you in on those specific apps.

As for the menu, the in-built one is very basic, but Ryo's excellent gmenu2x is very configurable. It even has a selector wrapper which you can set up to view rom directories with linked screenshots (if you have them), and launch the emu when you select a game. It takes a little to set up, and not every emu will work with it, but it looks brilliant.

thanks that answers a lot of my questions and i think i will now sell my PSP to buy a GP2X (Can't offord to have both!)
Know anyone how wants to buy a full spec PSP with GTA LC and MIDWAY ARCADE as well as eBoot menu system working (with MAME, etc..)
Ohh and charger, case, 256mb memory stick, car charger... etc etc etc lots of stuff!!!! Hopefully get about £130 for it on ebay (unless anyone here wants to buy it hehe!!!)

Thanks for the help guys you have talked me into it and those vids were the icing on the cake for me - sweetttt!!!!

spyhunter posted on Oct 12 2006 at 10:07 AM said:
thanks that answers a lot of my questions and i think i will now sell my PSP to buy a GP2X (Can't offord to have both!)
Know anyone how wants to buy a full spec PSP with GTA LC and MIDWAY ARCADE as well as eBoot menu system working (with MAME, etc..)
Ohh and charger, case, 256mb memory stick, car charger... etc etc etc lots of stuff!!!! Hopefully get about £130 for it on ebay (unless anyone here wants to buy it hehe!!!)

Thanks for the help guys you have talked me into it and those vids were the icing on the cake for me - sweetttt!!!!

I would still not sell the PSP. There are quite a few things that are better on it and always will be like SNES. You are also used to the slick build quality of a mainstream device made by a big company. Als once you get rid of it it will be hard to get one again that does homebrew as Sony is activley blocking it.

While I may sound like I am against the GP2X, that is far from the truth. I have a 1.5 PSP and rarely play it. It is just that the GP2X is not for everyone. It is more of an underground system that is a little rough around the edges. Not to say that it is bad but some expect more of a mainstream device and become dissappointed in the GP2X.

The best thing would be either save up and get a GP2X too. If you don't want to do that maybe borrow the money, buy a GP2X, and sell the one that you like least and pay back the loaner.

DaveC posted on Oct 14 2006 at 02:31 AM said:
spyhunter posted on Oct 12 2006 at 10:07 AM said:

I would still not sell the PSP. There are quite a few things that are better on it and always will be like SNES. You are also used to the slick build quality of a mainstream device made by a big company. Als once you get rid of it it will be hard to get one again that does homebrew as Sony is activley blocking it.

While I may sound like I am against the GP2X, that is far from the truth. I have a 1.5 PSP and rarely play it. It is just that the GP2X is not for everyone. It is more of an underground system that is a little rough around the edges. Not to say that it is bad but some expect more of a mainstream device and become dissappointed in the GP2X.

The best thing would be either save up and get a GP2X too. If you don't want to do that maybe borrow the money, buy a GP2X, and sell the one that you like least and pay back the loaner.

I fully understand what your saying but money does not permit two devices.
And to just add the fct that I only play Midway Arcade Treasure and arcade stuff (eg: MAME) on it anyway so the GP2X I think is the device for me (latest games are played via my laptop).

And my v2.71 is actually running eLoader with MAME and a few other games and emulators so it will play the latest games also... so thanks for your comments, the only 'think problem' I may have with the GP2X is the ability to watch MP4 video files and whether the playback is as good as the PSP for Vids and MP3's....

But thanks for your comments just telling you how I feel about it at this stage, but if someone else has something else to add - please be my guest!!!???

Neil

I'm contemplating going for the GP2x myself, and I have a PSP.

Well I have had a PSP for well over a year now and I thought nothing else will come close. But I just got my GP2X and well, the PSP is no longer resident in my handbag. OK the PSP is a better looking handheld, especially with the decals from Decalgirl, and it sits in my hands better and I don't have xbox loving hulking hands, but, the GP2X seems to fit nicely.

I did find the viewing angle of the PSP screen to be more superior. And I had to use the CPU hack to get the GP2X screen to be a bit brighter so videos were the same as on the PSP. But videos on the PSP seems blurred compared to the GP2X. Same video, same bit-rate, same res etc etc...

Okay just before typing this I have been playing Ridge Racers on my PSP. But I know it ain't following me to work... To keep my interest in the PSP I have to do lots of stuff to compromise Sony's security and, sorry, I cannot be arsed to keep up with it all. The GP2X is different, I am even developing for it myself.... How many PSP owners can do that........
To sum up: the PSP looks lovely, has limited support. The GP2X is a good looking console, and has unlimited support. And I can dev for it.. I wonder which one is staying in my handbag...

Back