Release Psfreedom For Pandora

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
With thanks to Notaz, we now have PSFreedom working on the Pandora. For those that have been on Mars, PSFreedom is the gateway to homebrew on the holy grail of closed systems - the PS3. Happy days.

http://psfreedom.com/

http://psfreedom.com/wiki/Using_PSFreedom

Download for Pandora (direct link)

I haven't tried it myself yet, but these guys have:

JurnD said:
You can use the psfreedom-enable and psfreedom-disable sh files from the nokia package: http://www.ps3-hacks.com/file/85

It pretty much just inserts the psfreedom.ko (insmod psfreedom.ko) I think. I didn't really look into, but it works.

Good luck.

Jurn
kidrdbz said:
Woo! It seems to work!
Those sh files wouldn't work for me, so I tried just
Code:
sudo insmod psfreedom.ko
and it worked.
Now I'm just trying to figure out/remember where to put the pkg files...
I remembered it's the root of a separate usb storage device.

Many Thanks!

Note: The downloads and links in this post are all perfectly legal. I think we all know what the board rules are... keep it clean, keep it homebrew. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a PS3 owner, so I may be missing something..

This never really sounded like a 'big deal' to me; its great for a lot of people, but doesn't seem like its great for 'most people' -- Sony has already patched it out of existance, so if you want to use any PS-online type services or get game patches or the like, you'll lose this workaround.

It'll be interesting if it can go like the PSP -- mod the actual firmware to be friendlier, then forever just use newly updated and modded firmwares; but I think for most people this patch will not really be any good.

Am I missing something? :)

jeff

True, it's not something most people will want to do right now. As long as Sony is forcing the latest firmware to access PSN, most people will walk the Sony line. Not to say there aren't workarounds, but as with any closed system hack it's a game of cat & mouse from now on. I just read that one of the PSGroove devs (another implementation of the hack) has deliberately left out a PSN enable patch, so the Sony servers aren't flooded with cheats and pirates. A move I fully support; a trickle of adopters is better for now.

Cat & mouse games aside, there is a lot of buzz around this. The great unhacked has been hacked. Homebrew releases are basic right now; SNES9x, a Pong clone, some file management & reg edit apps. NullDC is in the early stages. OtherOS (Linux) will be making a comeback after being pulled by Sony, and this time it is likely to have full hardware access. Then things will really get interesting. I'm sure we'll see custom firmware given some time too. The scene barely exists at this stage.

From my point of view... I have an unmodded Xbox360, which I use for online gaming. My media center is still an original Xbox running XBMC, but it's being left in the dust by HD video and needs replacing. The Wii isn't up to that task, so a homebrew enabled PS3 is the ideal next step. I'm using the Dingoo to run PSFreedom for now, and I spent a good chunk of Saturday poking around the PS3 file system with a Midnight Commander style file browser. It was ace.

pablo_jre said:
<removed>
I hate to greet a newcomer in this way, so please forgive me for it, but I don't believe that this pertains to homebrew. As Gruso requested, please keep it homebrew-related. Thankyou. :)

EDIT: Removed quote, as the original post was removed.

Gruso -- yeah thats my hope as well .. if this leads to custom firmware like a PSP, then it is really awesome; but I don't think 'the scene' should have bothered to make a big frenzy and port this to every device known to man, as its basicly a waste of time for most people :) The key was that it was broken,and the cluefull folks will not upgrade the firmware right now and will instead hack around. But for 99% of folks, right now, this isn't a big deal. It could _lead_ to one, however.

snes9x on ps3.. yay :)

Bringing back Linux is way awesome though.. take that Sony :)

jeff

I bought a second PS3 for this exploit. Everything about this reminds me of when the Xbox was hacked. If we get an mplayer or XBMC port, I'll have a $200 HD media player/emulator device. But I already bought a USB AVR. There's no telling when my Pandora will arrive anyway.

I gotta say, it feels great to be able to do this with the PS3, especially when doing it with the Pandora. Also, i love the PS3 but i really hate the way Sony does its thing. I cursed myself purple when i found out (having bought logitech controllers because of not having enough money for ps3 controllers) that the LittleBigPlanet demo worked fine with logitech controllers but the game itself actually didn't. And there's nothing you can do when you really want to play a game, but go their way. Then there was the choice between linux and red dead redemption... with pain in my heart i said goodbye to my Archlinux on PS3. Yes, this pleases me...

JurnD said:
I cursed myself purple when i found out (having bought logitech controllers because of not having enough money for ps3 controllers) that the LittleBigPlanet demo worked fine with logitech controllers but the game itself actually didn't.
I own two Logitech controllers and they work fine with the PS3, including LittleBigPlanet. (one doesn't have analog sticks though, so LBP is technically unplayable)

Oh so i actually own a JB capable device now, awesome!

Do i need to use the pandora EVERY time i want to load homebrew stuff, or once the exploit is installed is that it? I barely use my PS3 (has no gamez lolz) so not sure i CBA to go through this every time although if i (update to the correct firmware) and exploit it then i'll get it out the way

Gruso said:
True, it's not something most people will want to do right now. As long as Sony is forcing the latest firmware to access PSN, most people will walk the Sony line. Not to say there aren't workarounds, but as with any closed system hack it's a game of cat & mouse from now on. I just read that one of the PSGroove devs (another implementation of the hack) has deliberately left out a PSN enable patch, so the Sony servers aren't flooded with cheats and pirates. A move I fully support; a trickle of adopters is better for now.

Cat & mouse games aside, there is a lot of buzz around this. The great unhacked has been hacked. Homebrew releases are basic right now; SNES9x, a Pong clone, some file management & reg edit apps. NullDC is in the early stages. OtherOS (Linux) will be making a comeback after being pulled by Sony, and this time it is likely to have full hardware access. Then things will really get interesting. I'm sure we'll see custom firmware given some time too. The scene barely exists at this stage.

From my point of view... I have an unmodded Xbox360, which I use for online gaming. My media center is still an original Xbox running XBMC, but it's being left in the dust by HD video and needs replacing. The Wii isn't up to that task, so a homebrew enabled PS3 is the ideal next step. I'm using the Dingoo to run PSFreedom for now, and I spent a good chunk of Saturday poking around the PS3 file system with a Midnight Commander style file browser. It was ace.
Ultimately it is a big deal, and Sony is going to get its butt handed to it in court if it decides to proceed with that tactic. Disabling features on devices that consumers have already bought is almost certainly going to cause the heavy hand of the government to come down and squash them. I'm sure the Attorney General of at least one state will be interested in suing them back into the stone age. It really doesn't matter whether they make it "optional" by giving people the choice to give up the PSN account in order to keep their box fully functional.

kNeo gHau said:
Oh so i actually own a JB capable device now, awesome!

Do i need to use the pandora EVERY time i want to load homebrew stuff, or once the exploit is installed is that it? I barely use my PS3 (has no gamez lolz) so not sure i CBA to go through this every time although if i (update to the correct firmware) and exploit it then i'll get it out the way
You need to run the procedure on every boot. Once booted and jailbroken, you can unplug the Pandora / other device until you boot again. It's not much hassle, just a matter of plugging in your JB device before you turn the PS3 on.

Also be aware that when you do a clean (non jailbreak) boot, the homebrew you've installed will still show up in the XMB - you just won't be able to run it.

hedwards said:
Gruso said:

Ultimately it is a big deal, and Sony is going to get its butt handed to it in court if it decides to proceed with that tactic. Disabling features on devices that consumers have already bought is almost certainly going to cause the heavy hand of the government to come down and squash them. I'm sure the Attorney General of at least one state will be interested in suing them back into the stone age. It really doesn't matter whether they make it "optional" by giving people the choice to give up the PSN account in order to keep their box fully functional.

Sony already did it (removed the Boot Other OS option, among other things), and no one gave a crap.

jeff

pder said:
Is the source code available for this?
http://github.com/kakaroto/PSFreedom
just built N900 target using pandora's OE setup, no code changes needed.

hedwards said:
http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/05/07/sony-accidentally-ends-ps3-supercomputing-sonys-removal-of-the-otheros-feature-prematurely-ends-ps3-supercomputer-clusters/

If any governments were going to do anything about it it would have happened by now, especially considering the above article

skeezix said:
Sony already did it (removed the Boot Other OS option, among other things), and no one gave a crap.
google "Sony otheros lawsuit" and you'll see that several people did actually give a crap. Somehow they still got away with it.

Nice! JB works while Pandora is closed in power-save mode too!

A shame it is homebrew only :p

Back