programs automatically?

Tuxmmer

Still Fresh
How to start programs automatically? To run when you turn the console.

Hi,

It depends on what kind of program you want to run (PNDs, scripts, daemons) and which environment you use. Can you give us more information?

For now the program is a script, but then I want to PND.

If the user wishes, the program starts when you turn the pandora.

Do you want it to start directly at boot-up or when environment is loaded?

For example, I use Xfce and added Wbar (a dock) to the start-up applications of Xfce. I suppose it's possible to automatize this, xfce use XML files to store its config (but that would be a bit rude on the user).

If it's some kind of background daemon, you could try dropping scripts in /etc/init.d.

if it's a standalone application (eg: media center), making it a replacement for a X session could be an idea...

Want the application to launch as a joint program, after loading the desktop. This contest is for the pandora, so do not know how to manage startup applications. Could you give an example in Python code?

For example, Gnome environments, add startup programs in gnome-session-properties ... My question is to do it from Python code, not manually.

Excuse my bad English and thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
For XFCE, you need to write a .desktop file to ~/Applications/Settings/autostart. For an example of what such a file should contain check /usr/share/applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back