Prboom Wad Support Questions

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
I was thrilled to see the GP2X has a method of playing Doom, but can the PrBoom application also play Heretic WADs? Does it support Doom WADs made by fans?

I just found a CD with about a hundred different WADs, and if I could get them all on my GP2X I'd be thrilled.

EDIT: Also, are the wad filenames case sensitive?

nemt posted on Oct 12 2006 at 06:12 PM said:
I was thrilled to see the GP2X has a method of playing Doom, but can the PrBoom application also play Heretic WADs? Does it support Doom WADs made by fans?

I just found a CD with about a hundred different WADs, and if I could get them all on my GP2X I'd be thrilled.

EDIT: Also, are the wad filenames case sensitive?

Yes, PrBoom supports wad paks.

Currently I'm running Doom,Ultimate Doom, Doom Ultimate Blood Patch, Doom II (with all 20 or so official addon wad paks),Doom II Ultimate Blood Patch,Aliens Total Conversion, Simpsons Doom,Final Doom Plutonia, and Final Doom TNT+31 levels patch.

Im unsure if PRBoom Does Heretic, But Im running Hexen on UHexen which you can download from the file archive.

All my wad paks are Upper case so, yes they may be case sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does UHexen do Heretic, or just Hexen? I've never played Hexen, so I'm unfamiliar with its similarities to Heretic and Doom.

nemt posted on Oct 12 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
Does UHexen do Heretic, or just Hexen? I've never played Hexen, so I'm unfamiliar with its similarities to Heretic and Doom.

UHexen does just Hexen AFAIK.

Hexen a FPS in which you play a warrior, mage or cleric I believe.
I always thought of it as No. 3 in the Heretic series.
The software pack I got the wads from for use with Uhexen had Heretic (with Shadow of the Serpent Riders Expansion), and Hexen (with Death Kings of the Dark Citidel (hexen expansion pak) packaged together for sale.

Thanks for the info.

One more question on PrBoom, what's the deal with the music? I need to put this "timidity" midi folder on my SD card? Does the GP2X not have any native Midi support?

nemt posted on Oct 12 2006 at 11:11 PM said:
Thanks for the info.

One more question on PrBoom, what's the deal with the music? I need to put this "timidity" midi folder on my SD card? Does the GP2X not have any native Midi support?

I'm not sure how the timidity file works. I know that I put the file in the root of my sd card and music was enabled. I believe the original games had a separate midi pack or soundtrack file in the program that isnt transfered by just moving the wad paks (which to my knowledge are just graffics/maps files) into PrBoom. That said, I dont think the GP2X has native midi support. Regardless, placing the timidity file in the root of the SD does the trick just fine for me. ;)

nemt posted on Oct 13 2006 at 11:39 AM said:
Excellent, how about sound effects - are they included in the wads?

Sound effects are included in the original engine, they always play. Music is the only thing added by timidity...as far as I know.

The GP2X doesn't nativly support MIDI, so timidity (a software MIDI) is used. The timidity folder doesn't contain musics, as sfx they are included in WADs, but a mean to play them.

Back