Wolf3d On Gp2x

rickreynolds

Still Fresh
I haven't seen this posted, but then I don't read everything.

I've been thrilled to see that PrBoom has been ported. I've been reliving some Doom and Doom2 goodness. This led me to search for a Wolfenstein 3d port as well, and I see that a project for a gp2x port of it has been started at sourceforge. That's great.

But if you'd rather not wait for the port, you can still play Wolf3d on your gp2x (mostly). Install PrBoom, then grab the .wad and .deh files from the WolfenDoom project: http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/index.shtml

Then make a wolf3d.gpe file like so:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

./prboom -iwad doom2.wad -file original.wad -deh original.deh > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

This tells prboom to use the doom2.wad as the original IWAD, and tells it to add on the WolfenDoom PWAD and deh files. Seems to work great for me!

The WolfenDoom project page indicates that this only works with the doom2.wad, so you'll need a commercial copy of Doom2 (you won't be able to use a shareware IWAD file).

Wolf3D for gp2x has already been out for a while with a very recent update just a few days ago... but good thinking anyways. Are there any advantages to WolfenDoom? is it wolf3D using the doom engine or something?

Wolf3D for gp2x has already been out for a while with a very recent update just a few days ago... but good thinking anyways. Are there any advantages to WolfenDoom? is it wolf3D using the doom engine or something?

Hmm... Sorry for being a bit irrelevant then. I didn't find the Wolf3d port when I hunted for it.

WolfenDoom has slightly nicer graphics in it. As I understand it the author grabbed the sprites etc. from Wolfenstein and made the PWAD with that data. It's a very authentic feeling experience, but the stuff on the walls and such just looks a bit nicer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Wolf3D interpreter can be downloaded from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gp2xwolf3d

Works great for me, no need fooling around with prboom

That is really weird. I *swear* I attempted a download of Wolf3d for gp2x just yesterday and it told me that the sourceforge project hadn't released any files yet.

Oh well.

Yeah, its been available since December some time although a new version came out a few days ago.

The only issue I have with it is that the controls are too sensitive, turning left and right is really fast so it's a bit hard to aim but I managed to finish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back