Power2000 2700mah Batteries - Got 'em

remowilliams

I got a set of the cheap Power2000 2700mAh NiMH batteries (4) and a charger for $20.

I'm running them now on the GP2X to see what I get. Going to try some different tests and see what happens.

So far I've been running MAME GP2X 1.2 (P.O.W.) at 100%/100% no overclock with sound on. It's been running for 2.5 hours so far and the batteries are at 94° F

Just in case anyone is interested :)

So far only the MAME test ^ above was done.

The batteries lasted 3 hours 50 minutes of continuous MAME. The GP2X did not exhibit weirdness until the last 30 seconds or so of power until it shut off. The batteries were showing .475 volts after being completely drained.

So far - and for $20 - they seem to be a pretty good deal.

I'll have to try a movie type test next.

Yes, please.

Test us with a movie.

I'm tired of watching something for 30 minutes and having my batteries life gone, need to find a decent pair of rechargeables!

I got a set of the cheap Power2000 2700mAh NiMH batteries (4) and a charger for $20.

So far I've been running MAME GP2X 1.2 (P.O.W.) at 100%/100% no overclock with sound on. It's been running for 2.5 hours so far and the batteries are at 94° F

Nice, but I got 8 Energizer brand name and a charger for $20 (at Sam's Club, 2500mAh, NiMH)

They are out of those, but they have a new pack for $25 that includes 4 AAA batteries at 800mAh.

That seems a trifle hot, is one battery hotter than the other?

I strongly reccomend taking emery cloth or fine sandpaper to the battery terminals of the GP2X and even the batteries until they are shiny, then use a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol to remove the abrasive dust/metal.

That should help with conductivity, also using some Tweek (available from audio shops or electrical supply outlets) to increase the conductivity/decrease resistance couldn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems a trifle hot, is one battery hotter than the other?
No same temperature. They're just a bit warm to the touch at that temperature.

I made sure there was nothing coating the terminals when I first got the GP2X :)
Yes, please.

Test us with a movie.
I'm testing something that I compressed real quick with PocketDivXEncoder. I set it for 320x240 vid quality 20 - audio 6 (96 kbps). I'll post the runtime when the batteries go.

Test us with a movie.

I'm tired of watching something for 30 minutes and having my batteries life gone, need to find a decent pair of rechargeables!
Well, the batteries lasted just about the same amount of time playing movies that they did playing MAME.

Batteries lasted 3 hours 40 minutes of continuous movie playing (with sound on). Not bad! ;)

The charger for these has four individual LEDs to monitor status for each battery. A recharge from completely drained took 2 hours 45 minutes.

A recharge from completely drained took 2 hours 45 minutes.

Sweet!

my charger is an 8-hour charger, so I guess I lose in that department.

But I still can't really find the time to completely drain 4 sets of batteries in 2 days, so overnight charging works for me :) .

At least until my brother borrows 2 sets for his CD player :blink: .

I found a battery charger that charges through my USB port on my computer heh. I figure since that computer is on all the time, I don't need to use another power converter, plug it into the computer and it charges in a couple hours.

I found a battery charger that charges through my USB port on my computer heh. I figure since that computer is on all the time, I don't need to use another power converter, plug it into the computer and it charges in a couple hours.

How?

I am doing the math in my head, but I don't see 4 2500mAh NiMH batteries getting charged off of USB in any amount of time like 2 hours.

I just mention because it is tough enough to get portable HDD to run off USB reliably b'cause of the power drain.

I would use the +12v from the power cable inside the case anyway if I was going to go gung-ho about this charging thing.

Why is your PC on full-time? That's like, bad for the environment and such, unless of course you let it sleep and turn off the monitor, but still, why?

i didn't read everything got bored.. but how can u guys find that cheap batteries. i got 4* "GP 2500mAh Series" with a 35-40mins charger (with a fan thats C00l ^_^) for ~83$
Most of the time it charges much faster... :D

How?

I am doing the math in my head, but I don't see 4 2500mAh NiMH batteries getting charged off of USB in any amount of time like 2 hours.

I just mention because it is tough enough to get portable HDD to run off USB reliably b'cause of the power drain.

I would use the +12v from the power cable inside the case anyway if I was going to go gung-ho about this charging thing.

Why is your PC on full-time? That's like, bad for the environment and such, unless of course you let it sleep and turn off the monitor, but still, why?

loads of people leave their pc on at night, i do too, i usually have downloads going, if not i might turn it off ..

My batteries seem to last pretty well since i upgraded to 1.1.

Theyre 1300mAh, Jessops brand, and today i managed to watch 2 full episodes of Lost, and play sonic for around 20mins and theyre still working!

The USB charger takes probably 4-6 hours to recharge, I haven't really timed it, I usually just charge it over night, but it's more than a couple hours that was just a general term. My computer runs 24/7 because of applications I run all the time.

The USB charger takes probably 4-6 hours to recharge, I haven't really timed it, I usually just charge it over night, but it's more than a couple hours that was just a general term.  My computer runs 24/7 because of applications I run all the time.

Oh, I turn mine off because I can't sleep with it on.

If I had it in another room I would have probably got all the dapcentral.org mystery science theater episodes in public domain by now :D .

That show had me nearly rofl, I was majorly LOL because I saw a short where some guy was just dragging baby animals out of the wild like a madman, and the skit to follow that was a parody where Joel found a doll of that guy in a tree and then proceeded to cut down his tree and bag him with a snake before he stuffed him in the cage for the wildcats while Tom Servo narrated the whole thing in a remarkable copy of the narrator of the original scene.

Just in case you were wondering, it's called Teenage Caveman, season 3 ep 15

I got all the MST3k Episodes from DAP :) Even a few from years ago before they turned into buyable products and dropped from DAP :D:D

But hte DVD collections are VERY nice quality I buy those when they come out..

Hey remo! What's up?

I should be getting my GP2x in the mail soon, and a GP32 Blu to keep me happy while the quirks are ironed out.

i got a cool 15min charger with a fan takes 30mins really

2300mah cost me £15 pound from maplins

i got a cool 15min charger with a fan takes 30mins really

2300mah cost me £15 pound from maplins

I get the feeling that 15 min charges sre going to reduce the lifetime of your batteries. Wonder if theres a happy medium (and I dont mean Doris Stokes) between charge time and amount of times charged before the batteries are done.

I get the feeling that 15 min charges sre going to reduce the lifetime of your batteries. Wonder if theres a happy medium (and I dont mean Doris Stokes) between charge time and amount of times charged before the batteries are done.

yeah, I always charge batteries up full (i've got a slow overnight charger). and also, when they're used up, I stick them in a torch until they are COMPLETELY dead before recharging.

Don't know really exactly how much difference this makes to battery life, but I AM using some several-years-old 1500mAh NIMH's and they're still pretty good for a couple of hours on the gp2x.

Back