GP32 Porting An Emulator

timthepig

I need someone to give some guidance. I'm wanting to port an emulator to the gp32.

What do I need to code.

For example, I download source code for a particular emulator. I'm assuming I need to program the code for handling the memory\display\controls etc for the gp32 and somehow plugging into the source code then compiling it etc.

Can someone please provide me with much information as possible as I don't know where to start ?

Cheers

Start with something like Phoenix hardware (z80) or spece invaders (8080) as they are very easy and simple to understand.

Then move up to something like ZX spectrum and so on.

-Craig

www.gp2x.co.uk

timthepig posted on Oct 1 2005 at 10:37 PM said:
I need someone to give some guidance. I'm wanting to port an emulator to the gp32.

What do I need to code.

For example, I download source code for a particular emulator. I'm assuming I need to program the code for handling the memory\display\controls etc for the gp32 and somehow plugging into the source code then compiling it etc.

You should only need to code the bits that are different between the GP32 and the previous target platform. So, assuming there's no target-specific assembly code in the project: video, audio, file access and user input.

From a getting-things-going perspective, file access and video are probably your first thoughts, because then you can see progress sooner!

As to how easy that is, it very much depends on how modular the original source turns out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, try and find an emulator that has source which seperates the actual emulator code with the I/O to hardware code.

pea posted on Oct 6 2005 at 07:59 AM said:
sixxie - was that a condensed version of the answer I gave in the other emulator post? :D or is this just freaky.
Coincidence! I haven't read another post. Now I'm going to have to go find the other one...

Edit: ah, seen it. I'd skipped that post because the title didn't grab my attention. Must find more hours in the day from somewhere so I can read everything ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back