Portably Awesome?

AireTamStorm said:
If we're in an X environment you're definitely in the green in terms of multitasking. As long as the RAM holds out, you'll have Firefox, a little notes program, IM and music with relative ease.
* 128MB of DDR SDRAM.

Firefox using about 100MB RAM. I think we need a small open source browser. :]

When there is no official option to multi-tasking someone should modify the OS. ;) *Provied the OS is opensource like the gp2x.*

And the keyboard is one of the pro features of the pandora. I will definitely use it. I would be cool if there is a small IDE. But at the moment the only important thing is, that the pandora come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codemonkey said:
Firefox using about 100MB RAM. I think we need a small open source browser. :]
That would be Firefox 2. Firefox 3 is supposed to considerably lower memory usage.

If not, there are always other options like Dillo, the mobile konqueror that you see in the OPIE project, lynx, links and much more! ;)

This goes back to my idea of "formatting" an SD card for the Pandora with the main partition, swap partition, and etc. Just get one of those high-test SD cards and use that for swap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but I think FireFox3 will have got memory leaks, too. Mabye 70-80MB RAM, because it have more features.
Other browsers are an alternative or mabye the choice! But because the low resolution I think a light browser should be better. Where you got everytime fullscreen just when you press START you come in the menu or sth.

We will see what the time brings. I could imagine very well for switching between the various programms with the 1,2...9,0 buttons on the top or with a combination like FN + 1,2...9,0. :)

On app switching and space issues, I imagine Ion would work wonders on the Pandora IMO :) Even if the interface is minimalistic, it optimizes screen space usage to the max and you could always keep a launcher (i.e.: pretty icons with shortcuts) application in an ever-lasting tab :)

I presume it would also reduce RAM usage.

Back