Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5 hours

• 5+ hours

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no opinion

• Total voters

I think the more battery juice, the better. But to be honest, I would nearly always get the chance to rechearge each evening/night, and I wouldn't use it for more than 3 hours during the day...

A first I thought AA would be better, but I'd prefer an easily replacable lithium now, as long as cheap generic replacements/spares can be purchased.

craigix said:
Ever wondered why the lower case is big? :) This is an area we really want to max.
now I look at the renders, the lower case is quite large...I wonder what beast of a battery could be hiding in there? :) lol

Last edited by a moderator:
pandora said:
craigix said:
Ever wondered why the lower case is big? :) This is an area we really want to max.
now I look at the renders, the lower case is quite large...I wonder what beast of a battery could be hiding in there? :) lol

VanadiumBattery1.gif

Series-8 said:
Indeed it CAN be that accurate, it measures the current draw of power against the known good capacity of the battery (factoring in losses and battery age).

current mAh draw / capacity mAh = battery lifetime.

The calculations would also take into consideration CPU temperature, battery temperature, and if the cell is below normal capacity or old.
Actually it usually uses a change in voltage to below a certain threshold to indicate when the end is near.

I won't buy it if it's less than 4. 4-5 is satisfactory and I'd be very pleased with 5+.

atomicthumbs said:
pandora said:
craigix said:

VanadiumBattery1.gif

Haha. Me like! :p

Series-8 said:
#1. Unit must be able to charge in ANY state from a Standard 5 Volt 0.5 Amp DC (Universal Serial Bus) Power source. The connector should ideally be a Mini Or Micro USB port (using the device storage access port makes sense)
Due to the possibility of drawing a large amount of current (cpu at full load, wifi enabled, etc) then I'd say its only practical to charge via usb (500mA) when the device is powered off. If the device is switched on, charging stops and unit is powered from the batteries.

Series-8 said:
#2. Accurate (to the minute) Internal Cell status, Not a 78% left message. Say 3H 53M type indication, at current power usage and known battery charge / age.
This can be done in software at a later date. I'd say the first firmware will simply give a rough percentage, emu and games can tap into this and auto-save/etc when battery falls below 10% or whatever. Due to the fact cpu load can change constantly, an accurate time indication will not be possible, it will always be "At the current cpu load, estimated time is blah blah blah."

Also, bear in mind there's a slight additional consequence about using an li-ion battery: they'll all have the same battery.

Consequently, they'll all have the same (or approximately the same) discharge curve. And therefore %age left will be a LOT more accurate than on the GP2x, where better batteries might show as running low only a few minutes before they died, and worse batteries might very well appear low from about five minutes in, but then power the device for 3-4 hours...

You know, I used to hate the big battery case lump on the GP2X, but I've grown to love it. With middle fingers on the battery compartment, the device is really well anchored in your hands. I wouldn't begrudge some similar junk in Pandora's trunk for a little extra life.

ak

Sphinxter said:
It's not so much a matter of time but a matter of weight.
Remind me again, what's so important about weight? There may really be concerns about it, but I don't know of any. In fact, weight (for me) gives a device a solid feel.

javaJake said:
Sphinxter said:
It's not so much a matter of time but a matter of weight.
Remind me again, what's so important about weight? There may really be concerns about it, but I don't know of any. In fact, weight (for me) gives a device a solid feel.

Too much can introduce a feeling of fatigue after prolonged use.

aliking said:
You know, I used to hate the big battery case lump on the GP2X, but I've grown to love it. With middle fingers on the battery compartment, the device is really well anchored in your hands. I wouldn't begrudge some similar junk in Pandora's trunk for a little extra life.

ak
No.

Well then the simple solution is then to package a USB Mini connector power supply that can output 1-2 A at 5 Volts. (or have a Octopus USB connector for getting more than the devices fare share of power from a PC or laptop)

Back