Pocket Projector

In the case of the microvision projector, I doubt anyone would be game to mess with that. There is a slideshow here : http://www.microvision.com/pico_projector_...howitworks.html

It sounds pretty simple in theory right? But don't forget, it's freaking tiny and it would take some precision engineering for it to be accurate and reliable. Plus, everything is based around the MEMS technology for the projected image. It all looks extremely precise and sorta delicate.

I'm not good at electronics, but even if I was great with electronics, I would be reluctant to take that thing apart :lol:

Anyway, can anyone tell me if the lumens thing applies to laser light the same way it applies to led or bulbs?

EDIT: Spelling and sentence structure.

sold said:
Anyway, can anyone tell me if the lumens thing applies to laser light the same way it applies to led or bulbs?

Problem is, it's no constant lightsource like on a normal projector, because it works with scanlines. Each pixel is projected one time per complete frame. You could calculate the brightness if you know the brightness of the laser in a certain distance and the time it takes to complete a frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
enigmacipher said:
honestly....
for a forum full of hackers, I am very surprised no one even suggested a mod to an existing one. 10 lumens isn't much, but 100 is plenty for a 20 inch screen.... consider modding the light source. Luxeon LEDs will put out 100+ lumens and a battery, LED driver, and LED can be bought and assembled for less than $30. A cell phone battery from DX would probably last you an hour or so. Mod in a heatsink and fan, and you have yourself a slightly larger but way brighter projector. I am not saying I would or could do it, but it can't be that hard, can it?
I don´t find it surprising at all, seeing as your idea is completely unfeasible.
Picoprojectors aren´t LCD or DLP projectors. Read the thread again.

OrR said:
A built in projector works for movies and ebooks but the Pandora is a gaming device and thus it would not make much sense.
Correction: The Pandora is also a gaming device, and it would still make perfect sense.

Picoprojectors aren´t LCD or DLP projectors

Uh, actually the new pico projectors from TI _ARE_ DLP projectors, and they are smaller than any of the devices I've seen here, save the microvision one which doesn't look like a real finished product, and from what I've heard have a much longer battery life too (not certain of that though).

I have a picture but nowhere to upload it. You might be able to see a very small version of it here:

http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard...hand.JPG?part=5

It measures 14mmx71mmx41mm
DVI-D connector
Red, Green, Blue LEDs @ 7.5 Lumens
640x480 24 bit colour

Available Jan 2009 from Digikey

Looks as though lumen output is not constant, but if you had all 3 LEDs on at a time it would be 22.5 lumens/pixel

Tor said:
OrR said:
A built in projector works for movies and ebooks but the Pandora is a gaming device and thus it would not make much sense.
Correction: The Pandora is also a gaming device, and it would still make perfect sense.

I still don't understand how people can only see the gaming aspect of this amazing device..
My main use will not be gaming.

Same here. When looking at the specs I see a super-charged Nokia N800, with some extra keys (and some missing keys), in a clamshell envelope. The Pandora has all the specs of an N800, only better (faster CPU, more battery, more connectors, more memory, more NAND), the only thing the N800 has that the Pandora is missing is the N800's built-in rotatable camera. (Edit: And the N800's built-in FM radio, but who knows.. on the N800 it turned up as a surprise to everyone, it was hidden inside the bluetooth chipset.)

So I will use the Pandora as a mobile internet device, as an option to having to drag a laptop around, as a device for looking at pictures and videos from camera devices (due to the bigger screen), and, occasionally, but not that often, a little bit of gaming when there's nothing else to do.

EDIT: Oh, and as a presentation device. Either via that S-video output, or possibly through whatever comes out of this thread.

As I read OrR's comment, I knew what would happen :lol:
I will have fun times UMPCing and gaming, that's for sure :)

EdCa22 said:

Uh, actually the new pico projectors from TI _ARE_ DLP projectors...
You are right of course. But enigmaciphers suggestion to replace the leds of a picoprojector (with a single LED? WTF?) is still something that would require lots of pixie dust and unicorn power to work :p

Fishbong said:
EdCa22 said:

Uh, actually the new pico projectors from TI _ARE_ DLP projectors...
You are right of course. But enigmaciphers suggestion to replace the leds of a picoprojector (with a single LED? WTF?) is still something that would require lots of pixie dust and unicorn power to work :p
Haha, yes, couldn't agree more! :D

keaft said:
OrR said:

err... the pandora is not able to watch movies and read ebooks? thats not what i understood..
here it is the pandora sits oh so neatly on my dresser pointed at the opposite wall. i have myself a little usb hub pluged into the pandora which i have pluged in 4 usb controllers. 3 other friends and i play super smash bros. on the n64 emulator. when i get tired of that i simply slide the pandora carfully back into its nice little bed and let it sleep peacefully. With a built in projector on the pandora you could call it chuck norris 2.

How is a built in projector a good idea now, on a device which was designed for gaming? Gaming being only one of it's uses doesn't change the point that a built in projector is useless for gaming and thus many people would have to buy an external one as well. It might be a viable option in ten years when they cost a few cents and batteries can provide endless power. In the near future, buying an external projector is much more useful as it can be used with other devices as well, maybe outlive some of them and works for everything.

OrR said:
err... the pandora is not able to watch movies and read ebooks? thats not what i understood..
here it is the pandora sits oh so neatly on my dresser pointed at the opposite wall. i have myself a little usb hub pluged into the pandora which i have pluged in 4 usb controllers. 3 other friends and i play super smash bros. on the n64 emulator. when i get tired of that i simply slide the pandora carfully back into its nice little bed and let it sleep peacefully. With a built in projector on the pandora you could call it chuck norris 2.
How is a built in projector a good idea now, on a device which was designed for gaming? Gaming being only one of it's uses doesn't change the point that a built in projector is useless for gaming and thus many people would have to buy an external one as well. It might be a viable option in ten years when they cost a few cents and batteries can provide endless power. In the near future, buying an external projector is much more useful as it can be used with other devices as well, maybe outlive some of them and works for everything.
[/quote]

I don't think anyones yet in a position to actuly build one in at the moment. all any is trying to say it is cool.
This was such a cool thread about a cool new device catogry, now people are just at each others throats again.
just imagine openin up your box o' tricks holdin a bluetooth controler and if by majic you get a image on the wall. chill with the realism dude.
p.s. if we're talkin fantasy imagine projectin' charlotte church on the wall ;)

Just thought I'd collect all the pocket projectors I can find that are currently available in a list
Aiptek Pocket Cinema V10
3M M Pro 110
Optoma Pico
RXS Redshift Pico (rebrand of the 3m?)
Oculon Pro 920
Epoq Pico Cube
JV10 (also goes by other names)

The 'Microvision Show' sounds the best - but it is only available sometime next year and has already been demonstrated around the trade shows since early 2007, so don't hold your breath on this one. Its not vapourware - but its also not exactly imminent either.

You can add the TI D5000 to the list...but I dont think you'll find info online except for here (if the link works - if not go to google groups and search for beagleboard...I think the projector thread will be the first hit) But like the microvision it is not available yet...apparently will be Jan 09...more info on that link

About that laser-driven pico projector.. the one with the flash presentation anyway. When looking through it I saw ".. through proprietary software" passing by. Doesn't sound like driver-easy to me.

Tor said:
About that laser-driven pico projector.. the one with the flash presentation anyway. When looking through it I saw ".. through proprietary software" passing by. Doesn't sound like driver-easy to me.
I think that's all invisible to the end user - just plug a VGA or Composite video lead into it and it'll project it on a wall (or the cat etc.).

I don't think you need drivers. I think it would just plug into the tv out cable.

Tor said:
Since this is a technology demonstrator, the software they are discussing is most likely the micromirror control in the laser display itself. Probably not apparent to the video sending device.
Total conjecture on my part.

That's a conjecture I like though. Here's to hoping it'll be that way when (if) the product arrives.

Back