PNDs not mounting

ant

Website
ant.dyo-ecksdee.com
ever since i upgraded to HF5 i've been occasionally gettting error messages when i try to open a PND... this has come to a head because i can't configure my nubs (which have been acting in a really bizarre/irritating way), because the "PND failed to mount". it directed me to a log file, which i reproduce below.

what's up with this? having trouble opening mypaint is one thing, but not being able to configure my nubs is not ok... if there's no solution i'm definitely downgrading here.

that "/apps//op_nubmode.pnd" bit looks rather suspicious to me...

Code:
sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /usr/pandora/apps//op_nubmode.pnd -e op_nubmode.sh -b op_nubmode

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon: 

/dev/loop4

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

mount: Cannot allocate memory

The PND File-system is not mounted ! - Union wont work anyway

The Union File-system is not mounted !

It's a misleading message. It can occur when you are completely out of memory (which is very unlikely) or when the underlying driver has an error (but not always, I'm not entirely certain of the conditions)

Do it again, and then in a terminal type "dmesg | tail -20". This will give us the actual error that it is getting that is most likely unrelated to being out of memory. It should be right near the bottom, but this tells it to take the last 20 lines, just in case some other things are in there too.

So I get this error all the time. A few extra data points: I get it on almost any PND, and if I just try to relaunch the PND a few times it usually works on the second or third try.

I followed WizardStans advice and am now looking at a new error that perhaps sheds more light on this?

It says:

'SQUASHFS error: Failed to allocate zlib workspace'

Any ideas what I can do here? I can live with try/try again to get the PND launched but its not helping the sales pitch as I show this bad boy off to all my friends/family/coworkers...

It says:

'SQUASHFS error: Failed to allocate zlib workspace'

low on memory?

you'd need to look into what that error message means more, so dig into the squash/zlib sources for it, then find what it means (assumign it's not documented anywhere/not a common problem of course)

I get

mount: Cannot allocate memory

quite often when I have a web browser open with a few tabs closing the browser fixes it though

Now that you mention it I did have Firefox open to this very website in the background. It may be that Firefox with these boards open in 2-3 tabs is enough to use up all of the memory, though that's disappointing if true. It also doesn't explain the try again a few times until it works behavior...

That being said is this memory limitation one that an SD swap file or one of stuckies extends could help with? I've read about them both and have been thinking of playing with them though I'm thinking we're talking about used up NAND here and they won't help either.

If I've arrived at a limitation of the system here that's fine, I just want to do whatever I can to keep this error from popping up when I'm showing off the Pandora for my friends/family/coworkers :)

Back