Planes

jacksterson

So, I'm about to go to Texas, and I'll be taking my first plane ride. AFAIK, you can take handhelds on the plane, but the WiFi has to be off.

Is it safe to bring my Wiz?

I'm just being extremely paranoid.

It'll be fine. Just don't try to use it on take off or landing, as sometimes the other people can be overly paranoid too. They sometimes say that your handheld can upset the planes systems at these times, but personally, if thats possible, I don't want to be on that plane!

So, I'm about to go to Texas, and I'll be taking my first plane ride. AFAIK, you can take handhelds on the plane, but the WiFi has to be off.

You will probably be arrested and sent to gitmo then waterboarded for trying to bring a mini Wiz bomb on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK WiFi and the like can't fuck with the planes' nav equipment because it's on a different frequency, there might be a small chance that it's possible, but that chance is pretty damn small.

I was in a hospital recently and asked about the mobile phones off thing and was told by a staff member that it's only because some people have some fucking annoying ringtones, the radio waves do squat to the other machines.

AFAIK WiFi and the like can't fuck with the planes' nav equipment because it's on a different frequency, there might be a small chance that it's possible, but that chance is pretty damn small.

I was in a hospital recently and asked about the mobile phones off thing and was told by a staff member that it's only because some people have some fucking annoying ringtones, the radio waves do squat to the other machines.
Re "WiFi and the like" ... two different things, though, right? Cell phones operate at frequencies that are in the range used by airplanes' radio and radar systems.

Unless you got WiFi/bluetooth before the rest of us, then you'll be fine. I don't think the Wiz transmits anything. Like someone else said, just don't use it during takeoff and landing. They'll tell you when it's cool to use "approved electronic devices".

Honestly it is all a crock of shit. If it was that easy terrorists would all board planes then wip out their gameboys at once to bring the thing down.

It is not that sensitive. Avionics are so shielded that it would be almost impossible for any small device to have any effect, and that includes takeoffs and landings. I wouldn't worry about it, wip out your Wiz at any time and have fun, it won't make a difference.

The Wiz doesn't have WIFI, so if the plane crashes you can be safe in your knowledge that your Wiz did not cause it.

It is not just WiFi. Electronic devices if not constructed correctly can leak EM radiation of various types. For example, I was once told that it was possible to get a partial picture of the DS display(s) why holding it close to the RF-in of a TV.

It is not that sensitive. Avionics are so shielded that it would be almost impossible for any small device to have any effect, and that includes takeoffs and landings. I wouldn't worry about it, wip out your Wiz at any time and have fun, it won't make a difference.
We all know that, but the staff on the planes don't, so they get paranoid if they see someone using such a device. Therefore it's easier to turn them off until you reach cruising attitude.
If I knew I could take a device with Wifi and upset the planes systems with it, I'd be having urgent talks with the plane manufacturer and teling them to fix it ASAP whilst grounding all planes affected. I wouldn't just ask people to not use such devices.

Secondly, what ever you do, don't take additional batteries on board a plane. For some stupid reason, unless a battery is inserted into an appliance, it's forbidden to carry it, according to the Easyjet last time I boarded a flight with them.

and remember the golden rule: "the average person doesn't know what a bomb looks like; all he knows is what he sees on television and the movies. And this rule means that all homemade electronics are confiscated, because anything homemade with wires can look like a bomb to someone who doesn't know better.".I remember this last rule actually being enforced by security supervisors at an airport (It was in the news, I'm sure you've read it).

Secondly, what ever you do, don't take additional batteries on board a plane. For some stupid reason, unless a battery is inserted into an appliance, it's forbidden to carry it, according to the Easyjet last time I boarded a flight with them.
Lucky nobody has ever noticed that I normally take about 10 pairs of spare batteries with me on flights :p.

Lucky nobody has ever noticed that I normally take about 10 pairs of spare batteries with me on flights :p.
Sir, it's not a bomb, it's a dozen unmarked, D-Sized batteries for my homemade battery operated toaster! Nothing to worry about!

Alright, so here's the skinny (though I'm no expert, so take everything with a grain of salt).

As far as I know, the Wiz should not interfere in any way with the plane at takeoff or landing. It just shouldn't be a problem at all. Period. HOWEVER, I would suggest not using it during those times. They'll probably hassle you if you do.

NO YOU WON'T GET ARRESTED, so there's no reason to freak out. You would likely have some flight attendants ask to please put the device away.

Also, mobile devices aren't restricted because they pose some sort of threat of bringing the plane crashing down. That's not the issue. The reason the flight crew asks people to put mobile devices away during takeoff and landing, is because there is a chance that they can cause radio interference. And of course, the pilot must keep clear radio contact with the control tower to get "the go-ahead" (if you will) to land or to get instructions on whether or not they need to re-route. If there is static and interference, there's a chance the pilot could misinterpret/misunderstand/mishear crucial information, and attempt to land the plane before it is safe to do so.

But don't worry, the chances of interfering with the radio are slim anyway. Everyone who says it could interfere with the actual plane engines/computer hardware, etc. is just yanking your chain.

Have fun on your trip though. :)

Oh and remember, turbulence is a common occurrence and is perfectly normal, so just try to stay calm if that happens.

There are a couple reasons, but none of the ones they give are true.

1. It's been shown that even emulated cell/wifi frequencies amplified to huge levels don't cause any issue. However, there is no guarantee that that future frequencies will be safe. People/passengers are dumb... don't expect them to know which devices are safe or not in the future, should one become not safe. Much better just to disallow all frequencies.

2. Flying sucks enough, there is a reason that inflight Internet systems will block VOIP. Do we really need some obnoxious teen, gabbing mother, and/or loud business person who thinks he's better than you, to be yapping in flight? No, Cell phones should stay off. Sure there are inflight phones, but no one is going to pay those prices... free on the other hand they would.

3. It is part of the social control system they use to keep you accepting their authority. There are relatively few attendants, and it would be a mad house if the majority of people didn't do as told, follow the seat belt sign, and all other orders given. Telling you when you can or can't do something reinforces that you follow orders in their environment. (E.g. Zoo monkey enclosures where there is no fence... they don't try to escape because they have been conditioned).

Oh, I've flown two flights, every 3 weeks, for 3 1/2 years (~111 flights, not including before that). I had my GP2X, others had PSPs, Netbooks, DVD Players, Laptops, and anything else portable you can think of. Never have I seen one person hassled, except they try to use them during take off or Landing. There's also *always* someone who forgets to turn off their cell, and realize when it rings.

why holding it close to the RF-in of a TV.
I really don't see that happening and the shit about the cell phones in the hospital is all a crock. In a hospital people are sick and they sleeping and they don't want to hear people shouting on their cell phones and phones ringing. Speakers sometimes pick up an audible click from the nextell phones but even that is very generalized and being picked up by the speaker or amp circuit.

What about MRI machines for instance? They measure tiny RF emissions from the atoms in your body triggered by MR. Of course these rooms are likely to be highly shielded anyway so as long as you don't have a mobile in there then your scan will be fine.

It is not just WiFi. Electronic devices if not constructed correctly can leak EM radiation of various types. For example, I was once told that it was possible to get a partial picture of the DS display(s"] why holding it close to the RF-in of a TV.
I really don't see that happening and the shit about the cell phones in the hospital is all a crock. In a hospital people are sick and they sleeping and they don't want to hear people shouting on their cell phones and phones ringing. Speakers sometimes pick up an audible click from the nextell phones but even that is very generalized and being picked up by the speaker or amp circuit.[/quote]Off topic, but I'm trying to think of the last time I was in a hospital where anybody (including the employees) gave a sh*t about the noise level around patients. In the U.S., anyway.

Back