PineNote - eink reader

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
Another Pine64 product. This one really quite interests me, as I've been looking for a viable, open, alternative to Kindle for ages.

Same. I jailbroke my Kindle Paperwhite 3 right away, but it was always a bit disappointing what you could actually do with it. There’s some android eink devices, but they’re not for everyone. I’ve had an irrational desire for an open eink device for some time now. This looks like it’ll for the bill.

I would love one of those for taking notes on if it can multitask between browser/reader/notes. Too bad there's no footage of how snappy the OS and the writing are. Looking forward to more~

Just been watching a really good video on e-paper technology, and developing with/for it:

It has something on potential refresh rates too.

Edit: didn't realise how old the video is, although I suspect it's still pretty relevant.

Edit August 16 00:09 UTC: A previous version of this post listed the e-ink panel’s refresh rate at 60Hz. This number requires much more context. It takes multiple frames to display most images on an e-ink panel. The visual performance of the panel also depends on the method of converting the screen image to data the panel understands. We will be unable to make estimates of the panel’s true performance in frames per second without much more testing and development. So we’ve removed the 60Hz figure for now. We apologize for any misunderstanding.

Back