Pinball Emulation Possible?

andyhamer

Greetings to all: I am a little behind the times concerning emulation, so please excuse my naivety - does anyone know if something like Visual PinMame is possible on Pandora, i believe it is open source - this would also help appease my better half (another Pinball addict!)
Best wishes to everyone here for the year of the Pandora.

Visual Pinmame uses VBscript (Visual Basic) to run the machine mechanics and lights. AFAIK, there is no Linux counterpart to this Windows only platform for playing pinball tables. I would be very happy to find out I'm wrong. :)

Might not be the same but there are some really nice Pinball games for Amiga and DOS. Like Pinball Dreams and Pinball Illusions on Amiga, me and a friend played those a lot when we were kids. I think there was Epic Pinball or something like that on DOS. Gonna be great to play with the shoulder buttons on the Pandora :)

Indeed not quite the same. Visual Pinmame is to pinball as MAME is to arcade cabinets. For pinball enthusiests it's the closest thing you're going to get to a 2000$+ pinball machine. There is (or was) a very large community of people converting real tables to Visual Pinmame some years ago. If there was a machine out there, odds are you could find it for Visual Pinmame.

It is (was) unfortunate that the developers weren't as dedicated to portability as the MAME developers were, but... them's the breaks.

There's Emillia under Linux, which more or less provides a Visual Pinmame like experience, but with no way to import the already existing library of tables, it never gained traction. Also, it didn't seem to have a way of interfacing with real pinball machine ROMs to provide emulation of the electronics, sound, and scoreboard. A real shame if you ask me.

There's VPinMAME that's probably portable. Visual Pinball is an entirrrrrrrrely different matter and that's the huge x86 windows closed-source beast that's actually behind the magic.

Shame it isn't more pinball games for linux, think Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions will be the best out there when the pandora is released.

Did a little digging on the blenderartists.org forum and found a screen of my old pinball game for blender game engine (2006)
Its soon 4 years ago, damn I sucked back then :lol: anyways, it would be fun to make a new try on something better today, the BGE isn't what it used to be back then.
link to screen http://img154.images...skrmdumppr8.png
http://img154.images...plane003hb7.jpg

hehe love how bad the textures are, but the game worked to 50% the rest of the time the ball got stuck in the walls and stuff. The game even had a cool menu I think.
And only one pyhon script, to control the mouse. like <---------------------------------------> this much of code :D

Emilia Pinball is native Linux, and has its own table editor. Hasn't been updated for some years though.

If someone wanted to resurrect it in order to port to Pandora, I'm sure some in the linux community would appreciate it too...

zohnnyg said:
visual pinball and future pinball let you make your own tables too.

They are not open source, not even for unix. But if someone ask future pinballs devs if they are interested or if its possible maybe... but don't think it will ever happen.

Edit: To bad its not open source, future pinball is kickass. was a while ago I played it, alot of new content is out now, must play it now. thanks for the reminder.
Think a pinball game exlusive for the pandora would be the coolest :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back