Pdf Functionality

Shadowsithe

Website
furin.blogspot.com
Now this is my first post, and I used the search function before writing this. If I missed it, I'm sorry. I don't want to come off as ignorant. I think it'd be a cool idea for a PDF reader, since I've got a fair share of eBooks in that format. Then again PDFs don't handle scaling that well, but I suppose you could be able to zoom in. Thoughts? Linkage if I missed this post elsewhere? Fingers crossed I'm starting on the right foot.

The PDF reader is reasonable with text, it takes ages to render large images. The scaling works fine (it uses ttf).

The main problem is that you have to zoom in to read the text and scroll across to read each line. This is because PDF files are usually formatted to fit a page much wider the the GP2X's screen.

The best option is the convert the files to plain text. I find the e-book reader fine for reading books. I only displays just over 50 characters per line but this is close to the characters per line of a normal paperback.

project gutenberg? doesnt that use plain text- if thats the books ur using why not just get the plain text versions and use the preinstalled "ebook" reader

Project Gutenberg text files have to be reformatted to for the e-book reader, the use DOS end of lines and are not word wrapped. Several people have scripts/apps to reformat them.

This is discussed here

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackd posted on Oct 5 2006 at 01:14 AM said:
project gutenberg? doesnt that use plain text- if thats the books ur using why not just get the plain text versions and use the preinstalled "ebook" reader

Yeah, I have both. Should have clarified that. My Gutenbergs and my less than legal ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back