Pda-like Softwares

lordfpx

Still Fresh
Hello

I'm quite new to GP32 (got it only 1 month ago) and I really enjoy it :).

... But I'm surprised there is no PDA-like softwares, such as basic agenda or calendar. I can't even find any usable text editor, the only one being the one linked to Windsup (i you don't use Windsup... you can't use it :-().

Do you know any good text editors (except the one inside Windsup) ? Are there any plans on porting or doing from scratch an agenda/contact software ?

Thank you :)

I think there might be a calendar somewhere, but it's not much use as the gp32 doesn't have a battery backed up clock (if you switch off it will forget the date and time you've set).

As for a text editor, try EdgePad. There are others but I can't remember what they are called ('cos I didn't write them ;)).

edgepad is the best text writer i believe

the gp32 has no internal clock and so noone has written any pda software

i suppose some kind of diary software could be useful, you could check your appointments for any given day say, but afaik there is no such software at the moment.

EDIT: damn my slow typing skillz

There is a address book in windups. You don't have to use windups as a firmware to use it. Just load windups like an app and the PDA type stuff is there.

Is there some kinda trick to useing EdgePad on a GP without a chatboard? The writeup at that link is kinda confusing but makes it sound like you need a chatboard, there's a link for using edgepad 'on joystick based systems' but the link is dead.

Is there some kinda trick to useing EdgePad on a GP without a chatboard? The writeup at that link is kinda confusing but makes it sound like you need a chatboard, there's a link for using edgepad 'on joystick based systems' but the link is dead.

Thanks for pointing out the dead link. I'll try and find the document again (it doesn't actually tell you how to use EdgePad, but it was the inspiration for trying to use the edgewrite system on the gp32).

There are instructions included within EdgePad, but the basic principle is like pulling off a special move in a fighting game - you move the stick in a fluid motion to certain corners to write a letter (or usually side positions because of the problem most gp32's have with diagonals) eg, move left, down, right, down then release to write 'b'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answeres.

About the Clock problem, yes you are right it's a problem ;). Anyway, you can save informations on the SMC, so even if it can't alamr you, you could check a saved calendar with appointments marked, etc... No need to be clock dependent.

About edgepad, I tryed it... and deleted it :-(... it's too difficult to write even a single letter with it... I prefer the way Windsup editor works... too bad it doesn't exist as an external application :-(.

Si except Morning Coffee, I haven't found any usable editor and even that one is in Korean :-/.

There are instructions included within EdgePad, but the basic principle is like pulling off a special move in a fighting game
It's a good system in a way (because you could learn to do it very fast), however to me it did always seem like a fighting game in which I knew none of the moves.

Woogal, I you still developing Edgepad, it would be nice to get a text pad as good as "notepad" for the GP32.
I bought a chatboard, but it would be nice if there was also a way of entering letters and especially special characters, in the same way you write in windups.

About the Clock problem, yes you are right it's a problem . Anyway, you can save informations on the SMC, so even if it can't alamr you, you could check a saved calendar with appointments marked, etc... No need to be clock dependent.
Yep I second his plee.

plee.....se

I think there might be a calendar somewhere, but it's not much use as the gp32 doesn't have a battery backed up clock (if you switch off it will forget the date and time you've set).
some people were trying to make one (mr.spiv?), it should be possible

Edit: darkfader made a clock mod

but what would you have to add to run that on a normal gameboy color, it has bar code reader and all that other stuff and I don't remember those periphials ever being released for GBC.

Look what I found for... Gameboy (not even GBA) :

http://www.teamknox.com/gameboy/gb_pdae.html

Maybe I will have to use a gameboy emulator to get such software :-(.

WOW I never thought they made this for a GB ! sooo great :)
I would love the same kind of soft for GP32 ;) .... in better of course :p
Didn't they make some sort of organiser software on the original monochrome game boy? I don't think it got a widespread release but I remember reading a review on it and another program by the same company years ago in GB Action. I wish I could remember what it was called.

Gplinux might work for that. But for any of those functions to be comfortable, you need to buy a chatboard (that's a little keyboard for GP32). We also have a GB/GBC emulator that works pretty good. Most of the stupid litte features like "barcode reader" won't work obviously, but who cares.

There are actually alot of PDA type functions that can be done on the GP32 that don't need a RTC. Some would be as follows:

Address/contact book
Currency converter
Weights and measures converter (convert temperature, length, volume, distance, mass, etc)
Dictionary
Spreadsheet (Excel)
Text viewer
Scientific/engineering/ graphing calculator
Language translator
Finance type programs
outline and task manager
Diary
Statistical Analysis

Much more that I can't think of. So forget the clock, there is so much that can still be done without it.

Back