Pandora

zaephen

Apologies if this has been answered already. I looked through the Pandora information and couldn't find a clear answer.

After this initial batch of Pandoras, is there a plan to make more and have them available to be ordered online, in stock so I can pay the extra and get next-day air? LOL. Sorry, I have NO patience.

I purchased a Wiz last week, which I couldn't be happier with by he way, to hold me over during the wait but the Pandora is my ultimate goal. I've not pre-ordered or anything. I can't wrap my head around ordering something that I have no idea when I'll get it. I'll order one the day I see them in stock somewhere.

If I recall correctly, they're hoping to break even on the second or third batch, after which they'll probably have enough money to start funding a run without taking preorders, meaning it will be available for next day purchase. Eventually. Maybe.

WizardStan said:
If I recall correctly, they're hoping to break even on the second or third batch, after which they'll probably have enough money to start funding a run without taking preorders, meaning it will be available for next day purchase. Eventually. Maybe.
My understanding is they hope to get these first 4,000 out soon (this year)? This batch has taken so long due to creating the device and working a few kinks out here and there, right? So the next batch should get out much quicker due to all the ground work being laid. I hope ;).

I suppose I'll just have to pre-order one. I'm going to wait until they start shipping them out though. I can stand to wait 6 weeks even, but as it is right now, I don't think there's anyway to predict when I would get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember them saying the second batch is definitely going to also be preorder, and will be a few months behind the first batch, but all the kinks in the process should be ironed out by then, so you won't be seeing any huge delay for the second batch. Probably really just a few weeks from pre-order to shipping. Assuming they ever get batch one out the door.

WizardStan said:
I remember them saying the second batch is definitely going to also be preorder, and will be a few months behind the first batch, but all the kinks in the process should be ironed out by then, so you won't be seeing any huge delay for the second batch. Probably really just a few weeks from pre-order to shipping. Assuming they ever get batch one out the door.
Right.

I'm hoping to treat myself to a Pandora for Christmas this year. Hopefully it will work out.

OP: I know you don't want to pre-order, but if you really want a Pandora by this Christmas, I suggest you try to get in on the first batch. Best case is you get the Pandora earlier than Christmas. Worst case is the Pandora isn't released by this Christmas... which is unlikely... maybe.

Sphinxter said:
Zaephen said:
Sorry, I have NO patience.

Boy are you in the wrong place.
Hehe, I know ;).
That was the purpose in my buying my Wiz. At least I have something very portable and Linux based to play my retro games :D!
I'll probably just go ahead and pre-order. It will be a month or two before I can get ahead enough though. That shouldn't be a problem should it?

Gruso said:
Zaephen said:
It will be a month or two before I can get ahead enough though. That shouldn't be a problem should it?
Not sure what you mean by this?
Er, I meant, get the extra money ahead to order a Pandora after I just purchased a Wiz ;).

Zaephen said:
Er, I meant, get the extra money ahead to order a Pandora after I just purchased a Wiz ;) .
Ah ok. I have no idea what your chances will be like, I'm guessing there will more orders and less cancellations once assembly starts. On the other hand, maybe you'll just waltz in and pick one up. Good luck. :)

It will be a month or two before I can get ahead enough though. That shouldn't be a problem should it?
It will be a month or two before I can get ahead enough though.
It will be a month or two before I can get ahead
It will be a month or two
a month or two
or two

Also, if anyone knows, what are the chances of GPH or another company making these more available in the future? If Pandora is any kind of a hit and there's a demand, couldn't GPH or someone make a little money by making more of them? Just a thought.

The Pandora isn't made by GPH, and it's not a re-badged reference-design, so it's not as if some other company can start pumping them out as well. ;) I'm sure that OpenPandora Ltd. will do their best to satisfy demand.

Prometheus said:
The Pandora isn't made by GPH
I know that. My point was, if demand is such that the volunteer effort (which is how Pandoras are being assembled if I'm not mistaken) is insufficient, would GPH or another company consider producing them (or would EvilDragon and co. even allow it)?

Ah, I see. :)

There has been talk of Craig looking into possibly having future units assembled in Scotland, if memory serves, so it's probably not going to be volunteer-assembled forever.

I don't see GPH and OP collaborating on future batches of Pandoras.

I haven't been around the scene all that long, but maybe someone else could elaborate specifically on a WHY this won't happen?

Peace & Happy Holiday next Tuesday to those who celebrate!

Link

Back