Pandora Revisions?

lobski

I know if I buy the first batch of the Pandora's, it'll probably (inevitably) have some problems. Then Craig will tweak it around a bit and release Pandora rev 2.00 or whatever, making users who bought the first lineup stuck with their "obsolete" hardware.

Will you guys be releasing updated renditions after the first batch have been released for a few months? Maybe it's better to wait until a better version of the unit is released, and buy that one...

Or they just disseapear after selling empty boxes with pandora logo...

Craigix has already stated this. There is going to several releases. The final revision will be the one where there will be 3000 or so available (and the proper public release). The first revision will only be 10 or so I think, then 100, then 3000.

Still, the revisions will only be minor, so no one will have "obsolete" hardware as such.

Squidge said:
Craigix has already stated this. There is going to several releases. The final revision will be the one where there will be 3000 or so available (and the proper public release). The first revision will only be 10 or so I think, then 100, then 3000.

Still, the revisions will only be minor, so no one will have "obsolete" hardware as such.

As long as he's sensible enough to not make another revision later on down the track that adds one, but only one new feature which is pretty awesome but NOT quite awesome enough enough to be worth shelling out for a brand new unit. (ie, the GP2x-F200. :angry:)

Though it'd probably be easier to sell off your old pandora as a much more versatile machine than the gp2x-F100.

Last edited by a moderator:
lobski said:
I know if I buy the first batch of the Pandora's, it'll probably (inevitably) have some problems. Then Craig will tweak it around a bit and release Pandora rev 2.00 or whatever, making users who bought the first lineup stuck with their "obsolete" hardware.

Will you guys be releasing updated renditions after the first batch have been released for a few months? Maybe it's better to wait until a better version of the unit is released, and buy that one...
huh? i don't understand the point of your post (no offence intended). If there's problems with the first released units, i hope (and assume) that they will be fixed for the next development run. If you're worried about possible problems, wait for the all clear before buying.

It sounds like you're already annoyed about being forced to buy a first edition of the unit, and found there to be so many major flaws that it is obsolete. :blink:

Well, seeing as you will have to assemble the first (and possibly) second batch machines, I guess the only people who will want these are devs. A normal user buying a first batch machine seems silly, what the hell are you going to do with just a PCB?

This kind of "quality testing" is a good thing imho, as the devs are usually the folk that find flaws fast. And also make things work, so by the time the unit is ready to be publicly released, most quirks will be worked out anyway, and there will already be some software to run on it. :)

mrsnature said:
huh? i don't understand the point of your post (no offence intended). If there's problems with the first released units, i hope (and assume) that they will be fixed for the next development run.
Exactly why the first production run will be limited to 100 units or so. So any "Just change this one little thing and it'll be perfect" can be fixed. Much better than GPH's "Well, tough luck, no time or money for changes now, wait until the next model."

That is certainly a difficult question.

Look at the market:

- PC: people are used to change their hardware on a regular basis; I find it bad, but that's the price to pay to get new shiny stuff
- Console: when you buy a console it's meant to last several years without any significant change except for reduced size and power; for instance IBM made a new Cell going to 45nm; they only did that with power reduction in mind even though they could have increased speed while keeping the power, except Sony would not be interested to have 4 GHz Cell for PS3 :)

Choose your side :D

lobski said:
The problem with this mentality is, you might as well wait until no more editions are being made and the company is out of business. At some point you have to jump in, and no matter when you do it, you will always end up being one or two revisions behind in a few years.

The idea is, if you want a system with the fewest bugs, to wait a few months for the reviews to come in. Once the community has said what they think about it, then you can decide whether to buy.

Plus, remember who's making this. These are some of the same people that were absolutely sick of all the GP2X problems. If they put us through the same problems, they know we would disown them. lol

Tablet mode and BlueTooth seem to be the only real improvements (as far as add-ons go) that I could possibly see adding sometime in the future and neither one of those is a deal breaker to me. I don't see a joystick on this thing so that is definitely a good thing.

Why buy a PS3 when the PS4 will be out in a few years? :)

But yes, there obviously aren't any plans for a revision just yet. Obviously you won't be one of the first 10, and if you're weary of possible bugs don't get one of the first 100.

I think the first 10 will be buggy, the first 100 will be ok then the 3000 will be neer perfect which are the ones I want :)

Back