Pandora Questions And Answers

brunox69 said:
Also hopes that we could use the generics one because the Aples's one should cost something like U$50,00.
According to Apple's store, Apple's device costs $29 (£19). ;)

I have to say, it actually works, which is more than I can say for that DealExtreme one. I bought one of theirs first, it gave an intermittent connection and just generally did nothing - and my router's lights were flashing enough to give someone a migraine (they're solid if a device is connected and working properly).

Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
does anybody know absolutely anything about this Chinese manufacturer? seems like some fair trade laws might be broken.

Concerning cheap usb ethernet adapter I received the one I ordered from dealextreme.

EU.MARK USB 10/100M RJ45 Ethernet Network Adapter Dongle (MosChip MCS7830)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22684

You'll notice it's not the same as the one mentioned a few post ago. I tested it on Opensuse 11.2 and it works fine (just had to go in YsST to enable it). I only did a quick test of surfing and downloading a 600mb ISO file. It's definitely a USB highspeed device because I was getting 2.5MB/s downloading the file... and that's limited by my connection.

The build quality seems quite good. The casing and connector do actually feel quite sturdy.

The USB id of the device is: 9710:7830
After a google search I found that page some more info: http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_NET_MCS7830.html
It seems like the driver in the kernel from version 2.6.19.

And I updated the USB compatibility list: http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list :)
Hope to confirm it working on the Pandora soon. I think there is a pretty good change this will work out of the box.

With the Ethernet adapter I got a Retractable RJ45 Network Cable. Seems alright too.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25115

I had a first generation eee pc clocked at 700 mhz and it was capable of reading dvds through my portable dvd burner. Is there any reason why the pandora couldn't do the same thing? I know a program would have to be made for ARM (from scratch) but isn't the pandora powerful enough (giving it a slight overclock) to at least be able to burn CDs?

I am thankful for your posting, mali :)

"Penguinbait" from the maemo community put KDE on his N800 and burned CDs, so it's almost guaranteed to work on Pandora :)
http://tablethacker.com/wp/?p=104

Btw, he is(was?) a preorderer.

It should have no problems writing CDs, given you add an externally powered USB2 CD/DVD burner. (My first CD burning pc was a celeron 300mhz, i believe thats slower than a pandora...) It is actually mostly a matter of I/O bandwidth from the SD to the USB CD burner, and 52x CD speed is 7800 kt/s, people have benchmarked 15MB/s from the OMAP SD controller, so not a problem. (And you can always write slower) Burning DVDs at 8x should also work given a fast SD card (10.56MB/s).

Hi! I have a quick, if not slightly stupid, question:

When the Pandora is released, will we be able to download emulators from openhandhelds, just like the other devices (grpx32, wiz, etc)? Will be also get a Emulators Discussion added to these forums? Just curious, because I was following the development of the beta version of some emulators, but was just curious as to how it will be handled upon the device's release. Thanks! (Sorry if that's too stupid of a question)

kart_racer3 said:
When the Pandora is released, will we be able to download emulators from openhandhelds, just like the other devices (grpx32, wiz, etc)? Will be also get a Emulators Discussion added to these forums?
Yes to both. The Pandora section will have more forums added for specific discussions after the Pandora has shipped.

One other question, if I may:

How is PSX emulation on the Pandora looking thus far? I've seen the progress made on the N64 emulator and it looks fantastic, even for being in beta. Is PSX emulation this far along? I just haven't been hearing too much about that.

kart_racer3 said:
One other question, if I may:

How is PSX emulation on the Pandora looking thus far? I've seen the progress made on the N64 emulator and it looks fantastic, even for being in beta. Is PSX emulation this far along? I just haven't been hearing too much about that.
You haven't heard much about it because it was better than 100% months ago. There's not much more excitement to be had there. :) Check the video vault in the information index at the top for some videos.

WizardStan said:
You haven't heard much about it because it was better than 100% months ago. There's not much more excitement to be had there. :) Check the video vault in the information index at the top for some videos.
Awesome! So chances are that whenever my Pandora arrives I can jump right into near 100% complete PSX and N64 emulation? (That must be the benefit of those pesky delays)

kart_racer3 said:
WizardStan said:
Awesome! So chances are that whenever my Pandora arrives I can jump right into near 100% complete PSX and N64 emulation? (That must be the benefit of those pesky delays)
There are more in the video vault, but: N64 and Playstation 1.

GizmoTheGreen said:
id use bresero

I use "cdparanoia -Bx" and then tag the files using Picard which talks to the excellent MusicBrainz database. Lastly, I compress the .wav files down into 40-70% their previous size using flac, and throw in some album+track replay gain analysis: "flac --replay-gain --best *.wav"

It's a bit of typing, but it's pretty simple and the results are better than what just about any ripper has given me. :)

Any news on Dreamcast emulation? Speed increases yet? (was 10fps'ish?) There are not many updates from the dev's.

on the open-pandora.org post, it said he has 700 boxes ready to be shipped. i don't know, it kinda sounded like those would be shipped, and the rest of us would wait another month or two. any thoughts?

(quote:) "I don't know how Craigs shop looks like at the moment, but I got over 700 empty boxes lying around, waiting to be filled with Pandoras. We're ready to ship them out as fast as possible when they come in!"

aesir911 said:
on the open-pandora.org post, it said he has 700 boxes ready to be shipped. i don't know, it kinda sounded like those would be shipped, and the rest of us would wait another month or two. any thoughts?

(quote:) "I don't know how Craigs shop looks like at the moment, but I got over 700 empty boxes lying around, waiting to be filled with Pandoras. We're ready to ship them out as fast as possible when they come in!"

I don't think so. I think he meant that he has 700 boxes waiting now in his shop, which in itself is a lot of boxes. Maybe there's no room for more? I'm sure ED will just get more when those are used up.

aesir911 said:

If it's not clear, that open-pandora post was by ED and specific for his German shop/store (as far as the boxes he refers to are concerned).

I believe ED's talking empty plain brown cardboard boxes (empty usually means empty). ED's shop accounts for ~1000 of the total 4000 (if I recall correctly), and Craigix's shop accounts for the rest.

Around 700 is the total number of preorderers in ED's shop, afaik. The blog post _is_ from ED :)

Back